Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
Sure! Good idea.

Just a 5" production gun with no modifications. Took a mule deer with it some years back. It accompanies me often when I'm in bear country. I feed it handloads 'cause the factory wants an arm and a leg for factory ammo! :)

Used to qualify on the police course with it every year - but it's been a few years since I did that. I never carried it on duty, used a 45 1911 instead, but I often had it in the cruiser with me. Just because. :)

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one, Guy. I had one like it a while back. I used it for LEOSA qual once and the muzzle blast ripped the target in half when I fired from the 3 yard line. I hope to find a prelock 5" Classic some day.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Got this one for deer hunting in Ohio before they legalized straight wall cartridge rifles. IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPG

It wears a 2x7 Leupold. Ported barrel. Unfluted cylinder.

·
Premium Member
16,410 Posts
M 29/629 itis....

Hey Shark,

Got a couple....

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 761847 5" classic on its first day home. Brought it for hunting but I haven't carried it as much as I thought I would. There is something about the proportions of the 5" barrel that just seems right.
I agree. A 5 inch barrel does seem to be a sweet spot for an N frame gun.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A 5" 27 to me is the best balanced N. Second place goes to 6" 24. The tapered barrel knocks a good bit of weight off. Compare a tapered S&W 24 to a 29-2 and you will feel the difference.
That's a big reason why the mountain gun configuration is popular. They have a 4 inch tapered barrel and have been made in .22 LR, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Mountain Guns are past my cut off interest. I've only had one 44mag and being NIB I didn't touch it off and make a used gun out of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts