Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my lovely bride a S&W 500 and holy CHIT is the ammo expensive. $49 for a box of 20 and $39 for Winchest Supreme's. Anyone have any prefered loads? I'm just starting into reloading, but at $2.50 a pop I think it might get 'REAL' popular 'REAL' quicklike.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my .454 a few years ago.It didn't take long to get dies and all the other stuff to do my own at way less expense.My wife also likes to shoot the .454 so we reload quite a bit.

I do use Cor-Bon and Winchester loads for protection in Bear country because I am a little leery to push the button on 65,000 PSI out of a handgun reloading it.Depending on the brass,it starts sticking in the cylinder at 50,000 and 55,000 PSI..

Have fun with the .500..Great gun!!!

Jayco

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
You can get HSM ammo at a considerable savings. Search for "The Hunting Shack" out of Missoula Montana. They have a couple of different levels of ammo they load, cheap reloads in used cases (mostly .38 special, 9mm, .40 & .45 stuff) and higher quality stuff loaded in new cases. Their .500 stuff is supposed to be good, although I've never tried any. I've used plenty of HSM ammo in other calibers.

I load for the .500 with Hornady loading dies. Good quality dies. Am using Starline brass, CCI large pistol magnum primers. Have used both AA #9 powder and H110 with good results.

All my loads have been with either the 350 grain Hornady hollowpoint or the 440 grain Cast Performance lead gas-check bullet. The big cast lead bullet is outstanding! Can load it up to 1600+ fps with H110, but the lower power AA #9 loads are nice to shoot at about 200 fps less.

Hodgdon has some excellent loads on their website and in their annual manual. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm new to reloading but hope to set up the Dillion I bought a few weeks ago. .45 ACP by comparison is cheap when stacked next to the .500. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts