Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents, My not so bright half-brother decided to fire a 7.62x39 out of a nice S&W 1500 .243 . Rifle blew in half. Stock in 2 pieces, blew mag door off and broke it at pivot pin, also blew apart the one piece mag well/trigger guard. the ejector is missing, the extractor is ok but the pin and spring are missing. I have repaired all the damage, but I cannot locate any parts for the .243 bolt. There is a Howa (also made same model 1500) that is out of a .308 on GB. I asked him to test fit a .243, which he did and posted pictures of it on GB. It looks brand new but the guy wants $150 for the complete bolt assy. Do you fellers reckon the Howa bolt face is the same as the .243? Can someone make some measurements of rim diameters and average thickness of rims and provide that info? Any other suggestions as well?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Oh Man, I'm goin' to seriously recommend you scrap what is left. The bolt face is the same, BUT... A new bolt is the least of your worries. Squeezing a .311" bullet through a .243" hole will do some strange things to the original engineered pressure curve designed into the action. Trust me, and I hope other knowledgeable folks chime in, there has been all kinds of metallurgical changes done to the the steels in your gun from what has transpired. You would need to cut the parts in half, polish the surfaces, and have a forensics metallurgist examine the dissected parts to explain what has been done. I hope your 1/2 brother is OK. Do yourself a favor, and consider this 'the cost of tuition in the school of life'. Ask your self, " Self, do I love me?" AC

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Absolutely junk the rifle unless you have a licensed gun smith rebuild it doing away with any of the original parts. I'm not an expert but would never fire a rifle that was re-built using existing metal from an incident that you described. Also, please don't finish the re-make and try to sell it.

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ask your self, " Self, do I love me?" AC
If he is considering fixing that grenade, then the answer is a resounding no.

Once a rifle has blown up, it is no longer your friend. I'd throw that crap away and buy a new un-exploded model.

How did he figure that a 7.62x39 would fit? 7.62x39=297.18 and that's way bigger than 243.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...the bullet did exit the barrel. I have been so pissed he ruined a fine rifle, I never thought about getting it magnufluxed or anything for cracks....much less how it must have stressed out the metal. He said he was going to sell it at pawn shop for something different, but your reply has me thinking someone may get injured. I was helping the repairs, but I think I am going to salvage the trigger, sights, safety mech, bolt release and scope/mounts and cut it up. I really liked that rifle and maybe him losing several hundred dollars would be a good lesson.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, you can still get a Howa 1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard. They're still being made and they are mostly the same rifle.

Is the copper jacket stuck in the barrel or did it come out with the bullet core?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everything exited except the shell casing and separated primer...... which had traveled a few inches down the barrel.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
No way would I try to rebuild that rifle!!!! Just scrap it and go buy a new Howa it's the same thing!!!! I own one and absolutely love it!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Man THROW THAT THING AWAY and get another gun....MAN!!!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hey Gents, My not so bright half-brother decided to fire a 7.62x39 out of a nice S&W 1500 .243 . Rifle blew in half. Stock in 2 pieces, blew mag door off and broke it at pivot pin, also blew apart the one piece mag well/trigger guard. the ejector is missing, the extractor is ok but the pin and spring are missing. I have repaired all the damage, but I cannot locate any parts for the .243 bolt. There is a Howa (also made same model 1500) that is out of a .308 on GB. I asked him to test fit a .243, which he did and posted pictures of it on GB. It looks brand new but the guy wants $150 for the complete bolt assy. Do you fellers reckon the Howa bolt face is the same as the .243? Can someone make some measurements of rim diameters and average thickness of rims and provide that info? Any other suggestions as well?

WHAT?......

That is just stupid......scrap it.....no other choice in my opinion......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts