Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm very excited because just found this revolver. I was actually looking for a Model 27.
But this looks nice, too, and it is the same caliber. I'm assuming also shoots 38 Spl. Price is reasonable for our standards.
I looked into GA and GB and didn't find many.
If any of you can give me his/her thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

I'm very sorry, for some reason I'm unable to upload the pics correctly. I have them good in my files, but are uploaded up side down.:hmmmm:
You'll have to develop your yoga skills to see them.:biggrin:

Thanks a lot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
very good gun, and yes it will also shoot .38 special's.

these are very accurate and highly reliable, it fulfill all normal hand gun needs

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The Model 13 was introduced in 1974 and was in continuous production until 1999. It was originally made for the New York State Police and was also issued by the FBI in that first year, and again in the mid '80's. It was available in both a square butt and round butt, and with barrels of both three inch and four inch.

Your example has both a pinned barrel and the counter bored chambers (pinned and recessed) and would date to prior to 1982. It should be marked 13-1 ('74 to '77) or 13-2 ('77 to the elimination of p&r in '82).

The Model 27 is based on the big N-frame. The Model 13 uses the smaller K-frame, the same frame size as your K-22. You could consider the Model 13 as a fixed sight version of the Model 19, although it is somewhat lighter as it also lacks the enclosed ejector rod. Like the Model 19...and all the other .357 K-magnums...you should limit the use of hot 125 gr or lighter magnum ammo to prevent forcing cone erosion and subsequent cracks.

Your example looks to be in excellent shape and wears the original PC Magna grips. These differ from the standard Magnas by the tapered or rounded lower edge. Nice find, one I'm sure you will enjoy.

Roe

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's not much to add after Roe's post, so I'll ad my personal experience. I have a 3.5" model 27. It is a beautiful revolver, and I'm very proud to own it, but it's BIG. In fact, too big for me to carry. I also have a model 65 (just a stainless model 13). It's different from the one you have in that it's a 3" round butt, but it is my most useful revolver. A k frame 357 with fixed sights is right in the revolver sweet-spot. Small enough to carry, serious cartridge, cheap practice, rugged, big enough to actually hit the target with! That 13 is a no-brainer....

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
I really liked mine. It was nickel plated and rode in a pancake holster in the small of my back. Very comfortable. Unfortunately, I had to sell it for rent payments. I would buy it again...

Jeff

Reactions: Kaweskar

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Nice!I am still kicking myself for selling a nickel 357 Smith model 19 with a 4" barrel.Got it in a deal for installing an engine in a friend of a friend's truck.I sold it in the early 90's for $150.Now I have an older customer/acquaintance asking me to help him sell 5or6 S&W revolvers for him on Gunbroker. 357's and 38's.1960's and 70's A little worn for their age.But,I may try to do him out of one of the nickel model 19s since I think he wants me to build him a pool shower soon.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's a buy!

I have the same gun, but mine is a 13-3 and has the crush fit barrel and non recessed cylinder.

K frames shoot heavy bullet (158g) magnums well, but due to several issues are not good with hot lightwight bullet magnums due to gas blow-by.

Stick with heavy (longer) bullets for your magnums and it will reward you with a long and happy service life.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright! After such good advice ... by all of you, I made an offer and they took it.
The 13 is mine. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
It will take some time before I have it here, but I'm very happy!

Thanks for all the encouragement ... :flute:

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alright! After such good advice ... by all of you, I made an offer and they took it.
The 13 is mine. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
It will take some time before I have it here, but I'm very happy!

Thanks for all the encouragement ... :flute:

Cheers
i called for you just to make sure it gets to the right adress. wouldnt want it to get lost in my safe..i mean in transit.

glad a deal could be struck. i bet you'll really enjoy that beauty

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congratulations!

I have a Model 19 2.5" and a Model 15 4". I don't carry any of my wheel guns but love taking them to the range and shooting my .38 Spl reloads. You should get a lifetime of shooting enjoyment out of your Model 13 and it will easily keep shooting well, long after you've moved on, if you take care of it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have a 3" Model 65, but I would love to find a Model 13 to compliment it.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
its garbage. not worth much. ill take it off your hands to rid you of the pain it was gonna bring you. not really. damn pretty gun you have there
i called for you just to make sure it gets to the right adress. wouldnt want it to get lost in my safe..i mean in transit.
Greed, lust, AND envy...you got three of the seven deadly sins covered.

Roe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts