Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1895 in 45-70 that I picked up about two years ago. It is of 1972 vintage with ballard rifling, nice polish and almost perfect blueing. This is one of about 120 rifles that I currently own and I have always taken extraoridinary care of them. In spite of this, I can't seem to keep this one free of rust. I took it bear hunting last year and put a light coat of CLP on it every day. In places where it rubbed against my jacket the humidity alone caused small brown speckles to appear. One day I got rained on and this gun had brown freckles all over it before I even left the stand for the day. I've been caught in the rain with a gun before but never had these results. Today, I took it out of the gun rack where it had been for about two weeks and noticed that where the barrel is contacting the felt rest, there is more brown. Enough to come off on my finger and had to be removed with steel wool. I checked every other gun in the rack and the rest were perfect as usual. Even the rest of my Marlins, mostly 40's and 50's vintage were all fine. What is going on with this one?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Look up Ed's Red lube. Make some and add the optional lanolin, about 2oz to the quart. Rust will cease.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Renaissance Wax!!! A little spendy, but O Sooooo Good!!! You won't find any better.Period.!
Others will work but this is the best of the best, you won't even leave a fingerprint on the most highly blued gun you own and put this on.

Another I use that works great is Lucas Speed Wax. It's a spray wax and leaves no white or pastey residue.

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
All the above recommendations are good, but it sounds like the bluing on your rifle has some sort of chemical reaction with the metal. Just like old pocket knife blades would rust if the knife had old celluloid handles. Before oiling, I would try to neutralize whatever is doing this. A good cleaning with a light mixture of baking soda and water and then a good drying wipe down before oiling. I think this will help.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
My friend had a 870 express that we could watch rust in deer camp. He sent it back to Remington and they replaced it stating that during the parkerizing process on step got missed and it would always rust. He received the new one and with my help sold it off and purchased a near perfect 870 Wingmaster from 1985. That sure solved the problem and he has a much better shotgun.

If you can watch it rust something is wrong. Sure you can help it but maybe it needs major upgrade to fix it. I have. Of seen this with other bluing checks. Most are fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
And stop using steel wool. Use a "brass" brush. The brass is softer than the gun steel but harder than the rust. The steel wool will remove the bluing and the surface rust just gets worse. Along with RB Rider, consider having a pro redo the finish. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BloodGroove, just did ma little research on Renaissance Wax. Looks like very promising stuff so I put a jar on order. Trapper, I think that you are right about the blueing. Don't know if it is some unusual reaction or just poor quality. RB Rider, browning? can I really do that?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have a non-Marlin rifle that would rust if you looked at it. Johnson's paste wax took care of it.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
I'd wipe the rifle with Marvel Mystery Oil, and then wipe it dry...............a dry film of oil will remain on the surface............

My rifles are made of the same materials as yours are...........I've never had a rust issue in the last 55 years!

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
CorrosionX is a great oil. I have used it for years w/o any rusting at all. I have an extremely sharp carbon steel knife that I bought 40 years ago. It has tended to rust when I neglected it. Never big rust just that red/brown dust appearence. I wipe it down with corrosinX and leave it on my boat all summer. No rust. It is good stuff. CLP is the Gov't do all. It is made by the lowest bidder and has caused soldiers guns to jam up in critical situation. Google Jessica Lynch she and her fellow soldiers were under fire. 10 were killed due to rifles jamming. Eerox is probably the #1 metal protector according to tests done on 6mmBR. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like there is something wrong with the bluing on the gun or it was exposed to a corrosive environment in the past. Besides refinishing you can only keep the surface covered with something like oil to prevent the rust coming through again. I like rem oil with a gun grease called Rig. This product acts like a wax a little goes a long way. Oil the gun remove excess oil with a dry rag. Then take a small dab of Rig and rub it all over the metal parts. This will prevent finger prints. A piece of sheepskin with the fur on is a great dispenser for this product. Sold at Brownels for sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not sure if I'll get cannonized for this, but you can apply the oil and use a heatgun to heat the metal up or get the thing nearly sloppy wet and shoot it at the range until it gets hot. Let it cool and then wipe it off. A friend suggested I do that with my Rem 700 and it doesn't get the spots on the barrel. I think it has to do with getting the oil in the pores of the metal. Correct me if I used a wivestale tactic. Seems to have worked with that rifle. I have taken it out in the rain and even worse, I have had it out in 32 below zero which we have all seen condensation on the outside of a glass. The rust never came back.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
I tend to agree with the post that feels that something on the metal need to be neutralized. My gut tells me that it is a salt or acid of some kind. A water based wipe down with a damp cloth might solve this as oils and solvents won't dissolve salts. There is a metal finishing facility where I work that performs many metal finishes including black oxide, magnesium phosphate, electroless nickel, etc. It's director is a graduate chemist. I will ask him about this and report back, hopefully by Tuesday evening. AC

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Well, I can't say I've ever seen a lever done that way, so I was being coy....but just like bluing is controlled rusting...browning is controlled rust. Think about that ancient hand rubbed handrail outside your old school...out in all weather all the time, it's done rusting.
Brownell's has the goods. I wax mine.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts