Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering a 336SS for an all-weather hunting rifle and finally found one at a LGS today to inspect. Wood to metal fit was very good for both the stock and forend. The forend was fatter than necessary where it met the receiver, but not a deal breaker. Checkering looked and felt good. Wood was somewhat figured and attractive, much better than the plain birch on some Marlins. Barrel appeared clocked slightly since both sights seemed tilted clockwise relative to the receiver top. Issue was small enough to be acceptable to me. The retailer does not allow cycling the action or pulling the trigger, so no comment on those.

Now for the deal breaker: rust. Fingerprint shaped regions of freckling covered the receiver, lever and barrel along the forend. Now this is a display model that has been handled, but I did not expect that on a stainless gun.

Are stainless Marlins known to rust easily? Is this something new since Remington took over?

Anyhow, I am no longer interested in a 336SS. I am now looking for a blued JM 336—same corrosion resistance at half the price!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Stainless can and does rust. Usually it is a sign of utter neglect, which will eventually ruin any gun. The good thing about stainless is that you could probably take a Scotchbrite pad and make it look better than new in about 10 minutes. If the price were right, I'd buy one with some rust -- but I'd also want a 24-48 hour inspection period with the right to return the gun if the guy wouldn't let me inspect it in the shop.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
That is 416R stainless....It is magnetic, and it can rust. As another member stated, you can "re-finish" it with a Scotch Brite polishing pad...............

Not being allowed to open the action or cycle the rifle is a deal breaker to me, and the out of position sights would make me lose all interest in wanting to cycle the rifle.....

I'd smile, point to the sights, and walk away...........

Buying a rifle with sights out of position is like buying a Corvette with ill-fitting body panels.............You can, but why would you want to ?

Tom

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Op - don't give up on the stainless Marlins! They are wonderful guns that can be refinished to original very easily if needed. Stainless if very to easy to polish up. Like others have said, stainless steel can, a and does rust. Even surgical instruments and pharmaceutical grade 316 stainless can rust. Typically rust is started by contamination of the surface by other metals or chemicals.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love my 336 SS, I have some other stainless guns also, and they will leave marks esp. from sweaty fingers.

Flitz has always worked for me, takes about 2 minutes, scotch brite if the stainless is a little rougher.

I no way would buy one at full price the way you described it, but if the price was right...……………...

·
Registered
672 Posts
A gun shop that will not let you cycle the weapon, that is a shame and I hope you have other easy options. On that rifle and depending on price and if I REALLY had to have it might be a great one. Just about every firearm I own has turned to a project source of some kind, you can always make something a little slicker or smoother. The barrel being negative on clocking is a good thing, pop barrel and a couple off shoulder to tighten up usually generous headspace. Polish and slick up internals and then a trip through blast cabinet for finish of your choice. STAIN LESS guns are easier to play with having that option at end, not being a fan of shiny I use high pressure and usually the coarser grits for a dull gray heavy matte. Then lay out in full afternoon Florida sun for a couple hours to where you can hardly hold it and then it is rubbed out with Mil Rifle grease darkening even more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is 416R stainless....It is magnetic, and it can rust. As another member stated, you can "re-finish" it with a Scotch Brite polishing pad...............

Not being allowed to open the action or cycle the rifle is a deal breaker to me, and the out of position sights would make me lose all interest in wanting to cycle the rifle.....

I'd smile, point to the sights, and walk away...........

Buying a rifle with sights out of position is like buying a Corvette with ill-fitting body panels.............You can, but why would you want to ?

Tom
Scotch Brite refinish is an option I had not considered--because none of my stainless firearms have ever rusted before!

The rust spots made me lose all interest in wanting to cycle the rifle. But you are right, the sights are probably the more serious issue.

Nice Corvette! I visited the factory in Kentucky as a child and have liked them ever since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet. I love stainless Marlins but would have passed on that one.
Sorry, I didn't mention this was a new gun--has not been ridden yet!

The combination of new gun + rust is what turned me off. I have seen plenty of rusty used guns, but this is the only rusty stainless gun I can recall.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Quite possible!

To clarify, this was a national chain retailer that has trigger locks and action zip-ties on all their guns.

That's the bad thing about big box stores, they won't let you cycle em. I'd talk to the store manager & tell him you'd do it in the back room if you had to.
I've got a Viper barrel vise that works good.

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
Stainless guns will rust, just not nearly as easily.
Stainless will corrode but if you see rust that tells me that the Stainless is of poor quality (Chinese Stainless ). A good quality Stainless alloy which is formulated properly should not rust unless it has some impurities in it. The Chinese have been ripping us off by selling us steel that is not to our specifications and lying as to the quality. The US needs to start testing any steel purchased from China.
Also, I would not buy a rifle if the store did not let me handle and cycle it to my satisfaction. A real gun shop will let you handle the gun and then they should be trained to wipe down the gun (finger oils and finger prints) before putting it back on the rack to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
One of my S&W Model 60 (no dash, indicates older) was a little rusty when I got it. It cleaned up nicely, so I can't tell which one by looking. I would be more concerned with the clock of the barrel and action function.

Reactions: specular
1 - 20 of 29 Posts