Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what the heck happened, got 1 rifle out of the safe to fire check 0 prior to gun season, I noticed the scope rings on this rifle had slight surface rust on the side but nothing major, then I got another rifle out a few days later and both scope rings and bases were covered in rust as seen in picture, the rifle has been stored on safe and hasn't been hunted with in awhile, but i take these rifles out and wipe down with barricade etc, about every 3 or 4 months, I did this last about 3 months ago with no issues, this rifle has been in safe in same location for approximately 20 years, the safe has gold rod dehumidifier and its working, all other guns in safe are fine no issues, it's only happen on this rifle and slightly on another one, the only thing these two rifles have in common is they are the 2 near the Golden rod. I don't see how they could be close as they have been in same position for the most part for years near the Golden rod, and 3 months ago they were fine, this has just occurred over the last 3 months, could they have got to close to the Golden rod? There has been no severe temperature change as safe is in controlled constant temperature environment, over 20 years in safe with no issues and suddenly this happened, any ideas? Thank yall! Hope picture can be viewed ok.
Trigger Air gun Wood Shotgun Gun accessory

· Registered
2,967 Posts
Nothing else in the photo seems to have any rust. Could you have had something in your fingers the last time you handled the firearm? Even sweat can be corrosive, due to saltiness. I have, on many occasions, handled my rifles by grabbing the scope or rings. Again, nothing else in the photo seems to have any rust. I'd just bite the bullet and replace the rings. Maybe keep a light film of oil on them? Better the rings than the rifle!

Luisyamaha

· Registered
284 Posts
rm -

The base looks like Leupold and I suspect the rings are as well. Did you somehow buy a used base and rings (whether Leupold or not) whose former life might be suspect? I am just guessing here.

In any event, your photo prompted me to open the safe and give the long-guns a quick cleaning and inspection. For that, I thank you.

Also, I use both desiccant packs (is it silica gel?) as well as a Golden Rod in the safe. The concern I have is the humidity in the safe may be too dry for the wood.

· Registered
385 Posts
Golden rod is NOT a dehumidifier, it’s just a heater. It prevents condensation by raising the temp, and it lowers relative humidity by rising the temp, but it doesn’t reduce the amount of moisture in the air.

Humidity level is too high in safe, no idea why. Quality of finish on rings is not as high as on the guns, so they show rust first. Look for unprotected steel, buggered screws, scratches, etc and see if they show new signs of rust.

Just my guess, but I’d be inspecting things more closely and probably add some desiccant for a bit since you don’t know the source of the moisture.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rings and bases were bought new in 1992 with this rifle, i do t tbi k there luepold, but just weird there's never been a problem till now, again the only 2 rifles effected were the ones near the Golden rod, I'm going back them away and inspect more frequently, and of course be buying new rings and bases, , I could understand if I had wild Temperture changes and moisture issues, or gun was abused in some way, but to never have an issue all.these years then go to that in 3 months, Thanks for the input..

· Registered
7,940 Posts
I suspect something got onto the rings and contaminated them. There doesn't seem to be rust anywhere else.

The contaminant could be just about anything from a solvent that removed the oils, to an acid--even coke or pepsi, to an electrolyte solution--some sort of salt. Was the scope leaning against something leather? A sling, a glove, or a holster? I found rust like that on my 1894 lever after I wrapped it with a leather thong.

Could be sweaty hands that grabbed the rings. The scope tube is probably aluminum and not subject to rust.

Looks like you're due for another set of rings.

FWIW I've used Goldenrods for 30+ years and not seen problems like that. They work by increasing the temperature inside the safe. Higher temperature air holds more water, so if the humidity is, say 60% outside the safe, if the inside is warmer, the humidity would be less than 50%. The contents would be less likely to rust just from the outside humidity.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Low quality steel doesn’t rust any quicker than high quality steel,alloys will make a difference but not quality ,it still steel -moisture ,corrosive agents ,oxidizers they will make a difference quality won’t,sometimes plain pure iron will resist rust better but it’s hard to find ,mild steel,high carbon steel it’s all the same to rust.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No sweaty hands, I'm very careful on touching and make sure I wipe down everything when placed back in the safe, I thought maybe it came from what I wiped them down with, but I've used mostly barricade by Birchwood Casey, or safari Charlie, but I've used these on all guns with same scope rings and bases that are in the same safe with no issues on other guns just the 2 that were at closest proximity to the Golden rod, scope was not leaning against anything or wrapped in anything, just can't figure out what changed, 20 years of same wipe down and storage method with no problems, Golden rod in same spot for those years then this, I don't know!! I'm going keep close eye everything,

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Did not by any chance wipe off the Golden Rod unit with any thing that could have fumed off? Just pokin around for answers,somebody might assume that cleanser is alright since it’s not on a gun if the cleanser had bleach ,it could fume off and oxidize anything steel nearby.I’ve had hazmat training and experience and common things people do can have undesirable consequences.

· Registered
21,632 Posts
Strange occurrence for sure! South Florida weather... No golden rod...no desiccant packs...use hoppes AND WD-40...50+ years...NOT A SPOT of rust on ANY of my kids!😁 I do think you're on to something with the proximity of the golden rod, as it only affected the two closest rifles! Maybe move it around the safe or find somewhere it's no so close to any rifle?!

Reactions: tranteruk

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did not by any chance wipe off the Golden Rod unit with any thing that could have fumed off? Just pokin around for answers,somebody might assume that cleanser is alright since it’s on a gun if the cleanser had bleach ,it could fume off and oxidize anything steel nearby.I’ve had hazmat training and experience and common things people do can have undesirable consequences.
Haven't wiped Golden rod with anything, and it hasn't been moved in years I lighty touch it once every 3 months or so just to make sure it's working, I really don't think it's the rod, why would it do it now and never in the last 20 years, and every gun in the safe wiped down with same stuff so why on 2 effected were right at the rod, racking my brain to figure out anything I've done different that could have caused this and come up with nothing different. Can't think of anything rifle or those rings came in contact with that would cause reaction like that,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts