Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's now in my hot little hand! It's the first single action revolver I have owned. It's a neat little gun, brand new in the case as was stated. The gun is interesting and I really want to take it out this weekend and fire both the 22 LR and 22 Mag cylinders just to see how they are going to shoot. I have a hard time thinking that both would be accurate and that they will shoot anywhere near the same POI.

So, someone with knowledge of this gun suggest a holster to me. I'd like a nice leather holster, so I can feel like I'm in the old west! ;D I think Ruger has a holster on their website to fit the gun. Has bought one of those?

Here again are some pictures, even though it's not as glitzy as the Super Bowl Trophy, of which Pittsburgh has 6!! ;D

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Re: Ruger Single Six Anniversary Edition...

Congrats!!! That sure is pretty!!

Tom Harris in Thompson Falls, Montana makes my holsters - they are fancy, but not pricey.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts

I had a very nice Triple K that I sold a few months ago. Nothing fancy, just a generic western-type holster.

·
Banned
430 Posts

Hal, thats VERY a nice rig. Its 5 1/2" right"? None of my 22 versions shoot the same with mag -vs- longrifle. You outta get Bill to make your stag grips:

http://www.sackpeterson.com/RugerSA.html

If you keep her in a western rig, get ready for the crown to bang and the grips to bump stuff. This one is an old El Paso saddlery and I mainly use it for my 4 3/4" beater stainless. http://www.epsaddlery.com/

I really love this Calvery Flap I just bought for my pretty rig.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts

Congrats, Halwg. Nice looking piece, and like rbyham, I am anxious to see how it does for you with both cylinders too! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

That is a beauty! I've got to get one of those..... very soon! Congrats 8)

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I looked at a couple at a gun shop on Wed. of this week, and the one I got is much nicer. Nicer grips and the finish on the gun just looks better. Maybe because it was the anniversary edition.

·
Banned
430 Posts

Hal,

Looking at the wholesale sites (item still available) it says they are coco bolo grips and you really can't touch it for less than $550

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

LuckenbachTexas said:
Hal,

Looking at the wholesale sites (item still available) it says they are coco bolo grips and you really can't touch it for less than $550
Well, that sounds good to me.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts

That's very nice.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts

To Halwg I mean, They are getting shinnier every year.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Ruger Single Six Anniversary Edition...Shot it Saturday

I took the little fella to the range Saturday and shot 60 rounds of LR and a whole box of Maxi-Mags through it to break it in. It was a hoot to shoot. I have decided I won't be shooting a whole lot of 22 mag for plinking because that would get pretty expensive. But with Federal bulk 22 LR ammo, the gun shot really well. I shot it at 12 and 25 yards. I only had to make a click adjustment to the right, and at 12 yards all of my shots were in the center ring. At 25 yards they opened up but were all within the 2" ring around the center. I was firing off of a rest.

Then I set out some clay pigeons and the customary plastic water bottles and just did a bunch of offhand shooting. I was able to hit them pretty consistently with the 22 LR ammo, and fairly often with the 22 mag. I will practice a lot more with this gun, as I really don't shoot handguns that much. I have a Star 22 auto, and my Taurus 357 that I shoot just to make sure they still go bang, but range sessions for me generally involve rifles.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts

1895Gunner said:
Very nice Hawlg, another one for my list. It'll never stop ::)
Yep ... what Scott said. I really enjoy Ruger revolvers (and Smith's too Roe ;)) as I like the ruggedness built into a Ruger. I have kind of been looking for a .22 ss Single Six and a short .22 lever action (probably going to be a H001 Henry) to use to introduce young people/kids to shooting. I have three on my "introduction list" right now for 2011. I have never owned a Single Six but have ran a few rounds through one and I loved it.

I think you made a great choice and it sounds like you agree.

bjm

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

Halwg said:
I have decided I won't be shooting a whole lot of 22 mag for plinking because that would get pretty expensive. But with Federal bulk 22 LR ammo, the gun shot really well. I shot it at 12 and 25 yards...At 25 yards they opened up but were all within the 2" ring around the center. I was firing off of a rest.
Looks like you're on the right track, Hal. Those are decent groups for starters and are bound to tighten up as you continue to work with it. As you shoot this litte Ruger more, take the opportunity to try different brands and styles of .22 rimfire ammo. Twenty-twos in general, and .22 handguns in particular, can show a strong preference for a certain brand and/or style, and finding this "magic bullet" is part of the enjoyment of .22's. I try to keep a good supply of different .22 ammo just for that purpose...

Then I set out some clay pigeons and the customary plastic water bottles and just did a bunch of offhand shooting. I was able to hit them...fairly often with the 22 mag.
Don't worry about that Hal. Even Roethlisberger was only hitting his receivers "fairly often". ;D

Roe

·
Banned
430 Posts

Good shootin. That CCI +V or V-max 22 mag does get expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts

Any other opportunities to chrono the .22 LR vs. the .22 Mag yet?

If not, I should have my chrono out this weekend to do some load testing, come on over... ;) ;D I will spring for the brats and libations afterwards.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.