Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking hard at the Ruger single actions in stainless either 22 or 22 magnum.Tell me your experiences with it and either your likes or dislikes.Picking it up at the gunstore I fell in love with the single nine in 22 magnum and loved the fiber optic sights as they are a must for me.I have seen in my local Buy and Sell a new Single Six convertible with both magazines for 22 and 22 mag included for 450.00.But then I have to order the fiber optic sights to install on it for about 55.00 dollars.Feedback would be nice as I really have my eyes on this gun.Videos I watched on Youtube have been great.I just love Ruger products especially being American made right here.The shortage of rimfire ammo bothers me but it wont be forever I hope. Vaslugger

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a 70's vintage Single Six Convertable. It may be the most relaible and durable handgun ever produced, accuracy with the 6.5" barrel is good enough to take out a groundhog at 50-75yds with LR or WMR. I have shot tree rats with Aguila Colibri, and CCI CB's, it shoots shorts, longs, and Long Rifle, and swap cylinders, and .22 Magnum is good to go. It's a tough game to beat for flexible. But it is slow to load/unload in a tin can firefight with friends. I have a long barrel P22 and a MK I Target for that.

The FO sights are a good option though. I have them on my SP101's in .22LR and .357, and they are better than I thought they would be.

But a Single Six is a good addition to any handgun assortment. I've swapped and traded many guns, my MKi and Single Six, not.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If a lot of plinking or target work are planed, the $55.00 on the sights will be recouped in a hurry if you shoot 22LR instead of 22Mag.

Reactions: vaslugger

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought my Super Single Six (Stainless) new (early '80's). It has probably been the most durable, reliable and accurate handgun I've ever owned. I've carried it hiking, hunting, etc., shot target comps, and just about any other activity you can think of. It still looks like new and probably functions better. It's the best varmint and snake dispatcher you can find too. And today it's worth probably double what I paid for it new. What more can you say? I'm not a total Ruger worshiper as I do think they've had a few lemons over the years too, but I have to say that when they did the Single Six they really got it right. I can't believe any gun collection is complete without at least one.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Had a Single Ten and enjoyed it for its excellent accuracy - more accurate than any Single Six I have owned and I've owned many, over the years. However, there are differences in the Single Ten and the Six beyond the four extra shots you get with the Single Ten. My Single Ten, for instance, was extremely fussy about the positioning of the cylinder when you closed the loading gate. If you got it wrong, the hammer would not cock. Other ST owners have reported the same thing. I suspect its a matter of trying to cram four more holes in a cylinder that originally held six and then trying to accommodate that in the lock work.

After a year of shooting my ST, a hammer pawl mysteriously broke, right in the middle of a range session. Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it, of course. (Ruger CS is one of the best going.) Still, I've owned nearly a dozen Sixes over the years and never had anything remotely like these issues. Sold the ST.

As to the 22 mag, I don't know what 22 mag availability is in your area, but in ours, the 22 mag is, by far, the hardest rimfire ammo to be found and that's saying a lot because 22 LR has been tough, too. I'd sure check on this before you buy a Nine or it might be awhile before you can shoot it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My Single Ten, for instance, was extremely fussy about the positioning of the cylinder when you closed the loading gate. If you got it wrong, the hammer would not cock. Other ST owners have reported the same thing. I suspect its a matter of trying to cram four more holes in a cylinder that originally held six and then trying to accommodate that in the lock work.

After a year of shooting my ST, a hammer pawl mysteriously broke, right in the middle of a range session.
I wondered if that might be a problem... The eight shot setup on the SP101 has been OK for both my SP and my daughters, but I really don't see the point or need to exceed 6 rounds.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I wondered if that might be a problem... The eight shot setup on the SP101 has been OK for both my SP and my daughters, but I really don't see the point or need to exceed 6 rounds.
I don't either, but have to say that ST was one accurate SA revolver. Could almost keep up with my Mark Target pistols.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have owned a couple of Single Sixes & have enjoyed them thoroughly . My kids even more . Its not a stretch to say if well taken care of , you can sell them 20 years later for at least what you paid for them . Heirloom quality firearms in my opinion .
Al

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Owned a single convertible years ago, sold it, and then last year I just had to get another one. I guess you'd call it "Rugeritis". I love these guns. IMO they are far ahead of the competition for looks and quality. When you hold one in your hand you know you're holding a fine piece of American craftsmanship. I also have a Ruger LCR in 38 special and am very happy with it also. The Ruger forum over on Rimfire Central is a good place to look for info.

Reactions: alman and vaslugger

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much folks for the great feedback.It sounds for sure like a gun that would be great to own and plink and squirrel hunt with my son.Hope that more ammo will soon be available as it is slim pickens around here unless you want to buy it from the gougers in the Buy and Sell paper!Thanks again for the information. Mike

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Never had much luck with the convertible guns. Did really like the Ruger semi auto.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
My old 1965 RSS5X shoots either and does both superbly. Same gun does great with 600 FPS quiets and 2100 FPS mags. No direct experience with the ST or SN but the New Models are good guns too. It's too bad Ruger had to add the "safety" to these due to others' dumbassery and mess up the lockwork but they survived.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Another vote for the Single -six! Great little guns! I have shot the magnum cylinder on mine quite a few times, but I really got it for the .22LR capability and it has prooven itself in accuracy and ability. Besides hunting, It also rides in a get home bag when I'm on road trips within WA state.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The GF bought a Lipsey's blued Single Ten, the only thing I don't like about it is the fiber optic sights?, I've got two Single Six's, a two screw convertible and a three screw 22WMR, love them both, and also have a Super Bearcat, it's a great little gun!, the GF went and got herself a SS Bearcat too!
And I've also got a 357 Blackhawk and a Vaquero in 44 Mag too!, gota love a Ruger wheel gun!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had a single six convertible with the now discontinued 9 1/2 inch barrel since I was 21. It was the first handgun I bought, that was 25 years ago.....

Mine is the original 6 round model in blued steel. The only wear is the anodizing has worn off some of the grip. The bluing and timing are still like new even after countless hours in the woods, and thousands of rounds down range.

It is the single most accurate .22 pistol have ever fired. From a rested position it will consistently hit 1/2inch targets at 50 yards.

I have used it for everything from Fox to chipmunks here in MD. I mostly use the .22Lr cylinder, but use the .22 mag cylinder if fox or similar sized varmints are on the list for the day. Be warned though, the 22 WMR round is ear popping out of a revolver.

But I would still get the convertible again today. It just adds to the versatility.

I could not recommend it more highly for a well made, accurate, .22 revolver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts