Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hello, friends, medical issues took me away for a little bit.

The Ruger Security Six. What can I say?
I used to own two of them. One fell over the side on a fishing trip and I had to sell the other one before I took to sea as I had no place to store it.
Both were stainless 6 inchers.

Well... just so happens "the kid" was at a gun show with the wife (I know...shhhh) Saturday, and I had no more walked in the door and there was a 4 inch stainless Security Six on a private sale table. I mean, literally, it was right to the left as I walked in.
That was all the signs from Karma I needed.
He wanted $550, but a "discussion" brought it down to $490.
I don't even know if it was a good deal for me or not. Don't care either.

All I care about is it is right here on my desk awaiting the Pachmyer grips I ordered for it on eBay.
It has Hogue's on it and I don't care for them at all.

As soon as they get here, it is noise making time out back on " Dave's Wall".

PS... It has a beginning 159 SN. Did they come with actions this smooth?
The trigger and action are smoother than my Model 15. :love:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I hope the smooth trigger shows up in this download.
The action inside is just the same way.
Did Ruger polish these to such a smooth sheen or might I have lucked out and got one that had a very nice action job done to it?
I did not discover this until I got home as I could not "play" with it at the show.
Action job or excellent quality factory build?

Brass instrument Metal

Close-up Door handle Metal

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
I am a DA Smith man, I have a few. I am a Ruger SA man, and I usually do trigger jobs to all my guns. I was in a gun shop in the 70's and a man was in there trying to sell a Security Six, I felt the action and trigger on it. It was astounding! One of the best I had ever picked up, it pulled like it was on ball bearings. I have always wanted a Security Six but just never ran into one. Congratulations on yours!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am a DA Smith man, I have a few. I am a Ruger SA man, and I usually do trigger jobs to all my guns. I was in a gun shop in the 70's and a man was in there trying to sell a Security Six, I felt the action and trigger on it. It was astounding! One of the best I had ever picked up, it pulled like it was on ball bearings. I have always wanted a Security Six but just never ran into one. Congratulations on yours!
That is exactly like this one feels like....like the action is on well-lubed ball bearings.

I think it will be my main shootin' iron for my self-induced " Jelly Brice " training.
I was pretty impressed when I saw a show about him using the lowly, often cussed .38 Special.
All those shootouts and never even wounded.

https://www.policeone.com/police-hi...yce-was-possibly-the-fastest-gunfighter-ever/

·
Banned
153 Posts
I had one about 30 years ago. I need my head examined for trading it off.

My wife gifted me with a 4 inch blued GP100 a few years back. The next person to get that will be my son when I leave the building.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Your 159- serial number prefix dates your Security Six in the 1983-84 time frame. I started work in the engineering dept of the Newport facility in mid-1984. A number of quality improvements were being initiated then, primarily updating all the process sheets, tooling and gaging in a conversion of the manufacturing process from Mil-I-45208 to Mil-Q-9858A standard, which was completed in late 1985 towards the end of the 160-series. All Six-models of 161- and later met Mil-Q-9858A specs. The majority of the guns being run at that time for US government orders, most of these being for Customs and Border Patrol, with smaller numbers Fed agencies and State Dept export orders for foreign governments receiving US assistance, as well as NATO allies wanting to ride the contract for civil police orders. The tail end of the French, RUC, RCMP, and India orders were completed during this time.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
The Security Six is a nice revolver. I bought a new 6" when they were first on the market and have had many used ones. Having said that, I would say your S-6 has had a tune-up. I have never seen one out of the box that was smoother than a S&W of the same vintage. Today's Ruger DAs and S&Ws are about equal. I have never had to repair a S6 they are well designed and durable. The only thing I have ever done was polish up the running gears. I have never owned or worked on the stainless version.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I've always liked the Security Six. It's one of the guns I keep an eye out for a deal on. $490 for that gun seems like a good deal to me regardless of what the Blue Book might say, you did well in my opinion.

Stu

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
$490 is good price, not great. Most of the stainless version seem to be selling in 550 range around here. Both of mine have the best triggers of any gun I own. I picked up a stainless 4 inch barrel for $450 in 2012 and blued 4 inch barrel for 450 last winter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.