Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have the above handgun, my problem is, it shoots low (4-6" at 10yds) with whatever ammo I use, factory/reloads. I've raised the rear sight as far as I could (sight became very loose and wobbled)... still shot low.

I was afraid the 2 springs would fall out when firing. Does Ruger make a higher rear blade or a lower front sight blade? Or, even aftermarket products would do. This really takes the fun out of shooting my Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
26,382 Posts
I had a 45 Colt New Model Vaquero that shot very low and to the left--even at 7 yards. I had to switch powder to get it into the POA but used the same hardcast boolits.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
14,564 Posts
That is about the opposite of most SBHs I've owned. They all needed higher front blades to bring them down with rear maxed out. Im
not familar with front on Hunter model. If it's a screw on buy another from Ruger and file it to where you need it. Mine are old models
with fronts silvered on. I have a original that I got new in early 60s and it isn't sightable at short ranges. I cut one off to 5" one time
and put a Williams Shorty ramp & Marbel Patridge blade on it. I did it myself with low temp silver solder and it didn't hold long. I had
Smith silver it and never had anymore trouble. I always thought the old Herters SAs had front that was unusually high and ugly but
I guess old George new what he was doing with the Power Mag series.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Are you guys shooting off a rest or free hand? Maybe you're anticipating recoil?

Sounds like you need a shorter front sight. Many shooters tend to pull low and to the left though. Have you let anyone else try the gun to see if it shoots to the same spot?
If you look at the rear sights of my magnum handguns (the adjustable ones), the elevation is OK, but the blades are biased over to the right a few clicks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I'm shooting off a rest. I don't have any flinch or anticipation habits. My scoped Ruger SBHH 41 mag., I group 3/4", 6 shots at 25 yds. off the same rest. Is there any "lower" after market sights for this pistol ? The front sight is easily removed/ replaced. I rather monkey with the front sight, the rear sight blade is a real peach to work it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes, I'm shooting off a rest. I don't have any flinch or anticipation habits. My scoped Ruger SBHH 41 mag., I group 3/4", 6 shots at 25 yds. off the same rest. Is there any "lower" after market sights for this pistol ? The front sight is easily removed/ replaced. I rather monkey with the front sight, the rear sight blade is a real peach to work it.
That is because you have a scope on 41 and a scope has much more elevation adjustment than the rear sight. Shoot it off hand and see how that works for you. I've owned a NM Blackhawk 41 Mag since they first started making them and a 44 Redhawk since abt 1980 and never shot either from a any type of rest. They both shoot heavier bullets higher and lighter bullets lower and that is due to the muzzles lifting slightly more with the slower heavier bullets. Those pistols intentionally have higher front sights than they would on a 22 because of that muzzle lift.
If you still have a problem shooting off hand measure the height of the front sight and send off an email to Ruger. Or, maybe one of our members would measure the front sight height on his SBH and you could compare it to yours.

Reactions: Slugnut and packard
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.