Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a problem with my Ruger SBHH, 44 Mag, that maybe someone might have had and remedied. While shooting either 44 Mag or 44 Special rounds, the cylinder base pin works its way out and the pistol will not cock. Once pushed back into position all is fine for a few rounds. Is there an easy fix to this problem or does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance for your time and help.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I had that problem with a 44 Mag Ruger Bisley. I had my gunsmith drill and tap for a small screw to go through the cylinder pin with a matching indentation on the barrel. When screwed down into the indent that pit stays in rock solid. IIRC he charged me $20 for the job.

Paul B.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Had the same issue with a new SBH hunter Bisley 44 Mag... replaced the pin an that fixed it. How ever, I was running pretty hot loads when issues arose.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Ruger SBHH, has only about 150-200 rounds though it, nothing you would call "hot loads". The 44 spec. loads are going out at 850 fps. My 41mag. SBHH, is perfect-no problems so far. I'll purchase a new cylinder base pin and let you guys know how it works out. Thanks guys for your inputs.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
My Ruger SBHH, has only about 150-200 rounds though it, nothing you would call "hot loads". The 44 spec. loads are going out at 850 fps. My 41mag. SBHH, is perfect-no problems so far. I'll purchase a new cylinder base pin and let you guys know how it works out. Thanks guys for your inputs.
I would also take a close look at your base pin latch as well. Couldn't hurt to make sure its working like it should.

Reactions: Slugnut and Tomray

·
Super Moderator
16,668 Posts
What is the second H for? SBHH = Super Blackhawk ?

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I suspect the second "H" is for Hunter or, Super Black Hawk Hunter.

I had cylinder base pin and retaining cross pin issues on a Hunter, but was shooting/testing magnum loads with bullets in excess of 300gr.

I'd suggest buying an after market base pin with the set screw or as already suggested, having a gun smith make the change. A slight detent for the set screw to seat into is also a good suggestion.

I needed to replace base pins and cross pins, but felt the cause was the heavy recoil with the heavy loads.

The Hunter went away and was replaced with a Red Hawk. One Tough Gun that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

However, that scoped Hunter shot a 100yd group equal to many rifles.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you really like the gun, get the Belt Mountain heavy duty pin installed.
I like mine knurled. :|

Reactions: Slugnut and mrguvna

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My SBH base pin jumped some with 310's @ 1250fps and 275's @ 1300fps+

I pulled the base pin and took a chainsaw file and made a few strokes across the notch on the pin, problem solved. I assumed the notch was a touch shallow and the pin latch wasn't fully engaged. I think I made 4-5 lightish passes and it's never jumped again.

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.