Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

Can anyone share their experiences with the Ruger "p" autos? I'm looking at one calibered in .45ACP. It will become my carry/personal protection gun. The price is what I think very reasonable. ($400 NIB P90). I really like the decocking mechanism.

Any comments would be very helpful. Thank you.

G

·
Ruger "P" series autos

Leverpuller-I have a P-90 or I should say my wife has one(That was close).I really like it especially the stainless while we were in the Fifthwheel with lots of moisture.I haven't started to reload for it yet but I have all the stuff.It also was a great buy as far as 45's go in Idaho.It is with us where ever we go.

Good luck.Jayco.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

Leverpuller...I have a P95 9mm, unfortunately I bought it before the P97 45 ACP came out. My buddy has the P97 and he is very happy with it. It likes the Military Hardball Ammo and shoots very good groups at 25 yds. He had a problem with it shooting low, called Ruger and they sent him a different rear sight. I think it was a higher profile.... :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

I have the KP97D. Love it! It is my everyday carry gun. I'm very pleased with function, accuracy and handling. I paid $390.00 for mine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

Thank you for all of your replies. I have been trying to decide between the Ruger KP90 and the Colt 1911. The Colt was about $200 more but felt like it was a better built pistol. However, I just hated the "palm" safety feature that the newer Colts have. I was thinking about waiting for the next gun show and find an older 1911, but come to find out, my wife decided for me and bought me the Ruger for my birthday.

The wider frame of the Ruger does seem to fit my hands better than the 1911, and it will replace my .44mag for my carry/truck seat gun. I will hopefully own a 1911 one day as I have always loved that pistol. In many aspects it is much like a Marlin as it was designed almost 100 years ago but still looks very modern. Like a Marlin 336 I have always felt that the 1911 is a timeless piece, and will never look outdated.

My wife made a good choice as I would have picked the Ruger over the brand new Colt. She is a good woman!

Here is a picture of my new Ruger:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

Good deal! Let us know what you think when you get to shoot it. I'm also a 1911 fan but my favorite is the Springfield. Will have one again one of these days. Previously owned two and have no idea why I ever parted with them. Might be I was trying to come up with a down payment for a house at that time! :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

LoveMyMarlin,

Here is a target I shot the other day with the Ruger. I have never been all that good of a shot with a handgun, but I was very pleased with the accuracy of this .45. What a nice shootin' pistol. Functions flawless, and recoil is not bad at all even for an aluminum framed gun. There is some muzzle flip when shooting it but nothing as to what I have been used to with my .44mag. Thanks again for everyone's input.

I shot this target at 15 yards.

G

·
Ruger "P" series autos

Leverpuller said:
Thank you for all of your replies. I have been trying to decide between the Ruger KP90 and the Colt 1911. The Colt was about $200 more but felt like it was a better built pistol. However, I just hated the "palm" safety feature that the newer Colts have. I was thinking about waiting for the next gun show and find an older 1911, but come to find out, my wife decided for me and bought me the Ruger for my birthday.

The wider frame of the Ruger does seem to fit my hands better than the 1911, and it will replace my .44mag for my carry/truck seat gun. I will hopefully own a 1911 one day as I have always loved that pistol. In many aspects it is much like a Marlin as it was designed almost 100 years ago but still looks very modern. Like a Marlin 336 I have always felt that the 1911 is a timeless piece, and will never look outdated.

My wife made a good choice as I would have picked the Ruger over the brand new Colt. She is a good woman!

Here is a picture of my new Ruger:

I don't know what you mean by palm safety. Do you mean the thumb safety? If so, those have been on the weapon since 1911! If you don't already own a 1911, then go for the Colt. It is a superior weapon. If you already own a 1911 then go for the Ruger and have fun. But every man should have a 1911 first! :) The new Colt's are SWEET! But check out the Springfield's and overpriced Kimbers as well. They are all very good pistols! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

BoA,

I was referring to the safety that resides on the back of the grip/handle under the hammer guard. When the pistol is in your hand, the safety is in bewteen your thumb and forefinger. (If that makes sense. :roll: ) I just ignorantly dubbed it a "palm" safety. When I handled the Colt, I had to really squeeze the grips in order to disengage the safety. I thought it took too much effort to do so.

I totally agree with you about the Kimber. They had a Kimber 1911 priced at $1499, and it was absolutely beautiful! I'm not sure of the model, but I believe it was a "target" model.I'll have to wait until that youngest one gets through college before my wallet will let me have something that nice!

Thanks for popping in BoA. After reading your post over the past couple of years now, I know you have plenty of knowledge when it comes to a 1911.

I'm real pleased with the Ruger I got. It was very reasonable in price, but by no means is it a "cheap" handgun.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

BoA, I found this picture to better describe what I was speaking of. The Colt at the shop that I looked at was very similar to this one, but the safety seem to protrude out more than the one in the picture.

G

·
Ruger "P" series autos

LP,

Yes, that is the standard thumb safety. It has been on the 1911 since, well, 1911! LOL! :) It is one of the devices that makes the 1911 one of the safest pistols in the world. In the picure you provided it looks like the new enhanced model. There is a slight protrusion on the bottom to make the safety effective with a variety of hand positions. This is one of the best features of the 1911. And you'll never even notice that it's there when shooting. When DWM was producing Lugers they even incorporated this type of safety into that design because it is so effective. The 1911 is by far a superior design to the Ruger. In fact it is superior to almost any handgun. It's only design shortcoming is that you have to pull the trigger before you drop the slide. Otherwise you'll trash your trigger sear. But with practice this becomes second nature. And you'll soon learn that this does not fire the weapon as you'd expect. IMNSHO, every man should own a 1911 first! :) Over 90 years in production and still going strong! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

Thanks for the education BoA. Although I have seen many 1911's over the years at gunshows, the Colt that I looked at the other day at the local shop was the first one I have actually had in my hands. I just assumed that the thumb safety was something added in recent years. I've never noticed it, nor really paid attention to it before I held one in my hands.

I have owned and carried revolvers my entire life, mainly SA revolvers. Therefore you can imagine how awkward a semi-auto pistol feels in my hands. I have put about 400 rounds through my Ruger P-90 so far, so I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable handling it. I have been really impressed on how good I can shoot with it. (at least to my standards)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

this is my lastest 45 auto ruger P97DC and I love it.I have owned over the years lots of 1911's and been shooting them over 30 years, 20 thanks to the army.
this 97 is a single stack(slim grip) great trigger and accurate.
load:
200 gr swc my cast
4.3 gr's bullseye
mixed brass
win primers
pete

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ruger "P" series autos

That's some darn good shooting, Pete.

What are the differences between a P-97 and a P-90?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

hey lever,
the P90 is a all steel gun and the P97DC has a ss slide and poly frame.the DC= decocker.this is my first semi auto ruger and I can say I am very impressed.first time out is the target pic.I took fmj ball,hp's and my cast loads and mixed them up in 2 mags and it never missed a beat,this is new out of the box.I paid 400.00 out the door for this one.
pete

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

Hey Leverpuller,
What you are refering to is the "grip safety" not the thumb safety. The thumb safety is the lever on the left side, or sometimes in an ambidextrous safety it's on both sides.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ruger "P" series autos

That 25-yard target of txpete looks alot like what I get out of my P97 once I got the stance, the hold and squeeze all figured out. The biggest accuracy boost with a handgun seems to be the operator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts