Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Ruger No. 1 but would really appreciate some advice from all of you way more savvy on caliber choice than than me. I'm really tossing between .338 Fed. and .35 Whelen. The gun appointments are different for each but the right caliber is more important than the gingerbread and the price is mostly a wash. I reload and as best as I can tell it looks like the .338 components may be a bit more plentiful. This one would be considered more of a tool than a toy. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as scoping, would a 3-9 X 40 be an appropriate size for either gun's capabilities?

Thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm prejudiced in favor of the .35 Whelen. Six shots and six dead elk in the past seven years, what's not to like. The odd year's elk was shot with a 30-06. I find that the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet and Re15 powder are a match made it heaven. In fact I've seen no reason to go looking for anything else as far as a load goes. Smacks elk down with real authority.

I've been thinking of taking my Ruger #1B 30-06 and having it rebored to .35 Whelen and reshaping the forearm to a configuration more to my liking and having it recheckered. Just have to scrape up the money and it'll get done.

Paul B.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
For a reloader like yourself I would 35 Whelen. For me it would be between that an a 9.3x62 which is also based on the 06 cartridge. It's like there isn't a bad round based on the 06 brass.

·
Premium Member
15,333 Posts
I am partial to the .35 Whelen.

a 3x9 scope would be adequate

Reactions: V1Rot8

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the input.

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Out of those 2 calibers.... .35 Whelen.

I've owned a Ruger #1 in a handful of calibers and still have a #1B in .280 and they are great rifles. Mine have proven to be very accurate as well.

Reactions: M700
1 - 11 of 11 Posts