Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
And to any that are scratching their heads over some of the comments, I highly recommend sitting down and watching "The Big Short". Great little movie that's an eye opener as to how markets can and do operate.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Keep it going fellow Marliners . . but funny that my Original Post was just about WE MIGHT GET NEW MARLINS SOON!!! :cool:

Reactions: PWB

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will believe it when I see it. Ruger has announced so many products over the years and there was usually a 12-18 month "reality lag" before you even saw one in person, let alone were able to handle one. I hope this is different.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd rather wait a year and have them produce quality guns out of the gate. It's going to come down to the business philosophy and approach that drives the company. Who's in charge at the end of the day? The guys who watch the stock market on a daily basis? Or someone who's trying to build a legacy product?

Some years ago I read an article about the companies that did the best in the long run. Family owned and operated were the best bet, they had a sense of leaving something good for their kids/heirs.
My sense, rightly or wrongly, is that many of the members here care and keep their guns for the long haul. Great grandpa's 30-30 still shoots, and with a minimal amount of maintenance, will continue to do so for the next generation or two. Simple technology coupled with good design and execution thereof still brings home the bacon, venison, etc, and fills the freezer provided the operator does his/her job. McPherson has some great tips on accurizing the old lever action into an MOA shooter.
Hornady and their FTX bullet technology and powder development has turned the best of their recent cartridges into genuine 300yd rifles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A new article just posted April 2, 2021 on OUTDOOR LIFE.COM talks about the acquisition of Marlin by Ruger from Remington . . Sounds really good to me and I love all my Ruger handguns and rifles . . Can't wait to see what Ruger/Marlin comes out with first . . . .

I read somewhere that Ruger will start with the Lever rifles.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sure hope that they offer something this year. I'd love to see the quality back in the product. I suppose it'll be asking too much to see something in 35 Remington, though - I reload that round for my 336. :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm looking forward to the next crop of Marlins in the LGS's, but fear they will get snapped up for price-gouging resale on GB. Seems like that's a common moneymaker for society's newest parasites!

I will not hesitate if I see a new Marlin that I like (if it passes my 'inspection)', because it probably won't stay on the shelf for long!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'd be happy to see Ruger bring back the Model 96, would really like to see a return of the Model 44, but at least the 96 was a lever gun!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd be happy to see Ruger bring back the Model 96, would really like to see a return of the Model 44, but at least the 96 was a lever gun!
Agreed, I stupidly sold mine long ago. But realistically, why would Ruger bring back a rifle which failed to sell originally, and which now competes with their new line of levers - for which they paid plenty? Fun to dream anyway.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
why would Ruger bring back a rifle which failed to sell originally, and which now competes with their new line of levers - for which they paid plenty? Fun to dream anyway.
Indeed, the world has changed a lot, seems no company wants to make anything that doesn't fly off the shelves, even if it does make a profit, the floor space at the plant is better utilized producing the top sellers with the biggest margins. They are in business to make money and increase value to the stockholders

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'd rather wait a year and have them produce quality guns out of the gate. It's going to come down to the business philosophy and approach that drives the company. Who's in charge at the end of the day? The guys who watch the stock market on a daily basis? Or someone who's trying to build a legacy product?

Some years ago I read an article about the companies that did the best in the long run. Family owned and operated were the best bet, they had a sense of leaving something good for their kids/heirs.
My sense, rightly or wrongly, is that many of the members here care and keep their guns for the long haul. Great grandpa's 30-30 still shoots, and with a minimal amount of maintenance, will continue to do so for the next generation or two. Simple technology coupled with good design and execution thereof still brings home the bacon, venison, etc, and fills the freezer provided the operator does his/her job. McPherson has some great tips on accurizing the old lever action into an MOA shooter.
Hornady and their FTX bullet technology and powder development has turned the best of their recent cartridges into genuine 300yd rifles.
Wish there was a thumbs down icon. LOL You had a thumbs up until you mentioned Hornady FTX. My experience is it is a very high dollar paper puncher. Sure accurate.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I hope Ruger keeps out of the lever business in there brand. Since I own several older M44's (Carbines) I don't want them to build any of those either. Keep the value in mine. I found the 96 kind of nice and accurate but not very eye catching.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts