Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I ask this over on the rimfire section but then got to thinking that I might get a better answer here.

I have been thinking of getting a Stainless Ruger to carry while I am out fishing. Does anyone know which one would make a better snake and bunny carry gun? I shot the Mark II a couple years ago and liked it. I have seen but not shot the Mark III but like it’s looks. So, which one do you think I should get?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd go MKIII unless there is too good a deal to p[ass up on the MkII. I like thee fact that the MK III has the Mag release in its proper spot...next to your thumb. he MKIIIs seem to be quite accurate and feature many of the same qualities of the MKII, It's just the updated version.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Let me be candid, I'm full of sour grapes when you talk Ruger 22 handguns. So, I'll give you my two cents; save it for a year, then decide.

Ruger dropped their only double action 22 revolver in spite of the fact that they currently catalog 23 different fotms of single action revolvers and pistols, about an even split between them. For anyone familar with their SP101 it is pretty hard to figure. (I never thought I'd have a .357 caliber CF 22 handgun. Now I do and the little 38 Special is one nice little gun.

Maybe a boycott of the other 22 handguns they sell would help them see the light. Either that or they have such idiots in management that they'd see that as reason to fold the 22 handgun lines altogether. I realize we have a small local market but the little 22 LR Sp101 has been a winner here.

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
Bought a Mk III a couple of months ago and it shoots great. Extremely accurate and very reliable. I like the updates Ruger has made. Didn't even know they'd changed to a Mk III until I got to the gunshop to buy a Mk II target pistol. They'd long since sold out of the older Mk II's and I took home the new one. Great piece of gear for target practice. I haven't hunted with it.

If rattlers are a potential problem on fishing trips I prefer a .38 snubbie with a couple of snake-shot rounds in the cylinder, then the rest good hollowpoints like Federal's 129 grain +P hydra-shock. Compact, accurate enough, and enough power if things get more serious. The .38 snake shot has worked out real well for me a time or two.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I suppose this is as good a place to ask this question as any......

What is the difference between the MKII and MKIII magazines?

Are they interchangeable?

thanks

hog

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hogship I believe they are interchangeable just don't tell the marketing guys. I just earned through work a Ruger Hunter 67/8 MkIII Hunter model( my choice). I have not shot it yet although I have shot one like it man are they nice. I have two mags. on order and one is a MkII Mag. I'll try it out shortly and try to report back. Can hardly wait to shoot his new gun and the Par LTC Alloy I got too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've shot the MK Is in service (target pistol), MK II at home (I've got my dad's 10"), but never shot the MK III. I do note that as the product develops it gets more complicated and not all the complications are worth the effort. I hunt with the MK II without problems.

I guess where Golsovia is the revolver is preferred. I see the SP101 .22s quite often, so often I didn't know that they were discontinued. I bet Ruger dropped them because they didn't sell.

For me, here in VA, all my .22 handguns were semi-auto pistols until I got my Single-Six.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought a Ruger Mark II a few years ago. I bought it about the same time Ruger was coming out with the Mark III. Overall I really like my Mark II it’s a great pistol. It’s been very accurate and reliable. As for the Mark II vs. the Mark III debate I would buy a Mark II for the follow reasons.

Mark II:
The European style magazine release seems to bother a lot of people. It doesn’t bother me on this type of a gun. If this was a defensive gun thou I would prefer the American style (like a 1911) magazine release. But since I use it for plinking and small game hunting it works great.

Mark III:
Same gun as the Mark II but with a different magazine release. The gun is slightly more complicated due to the chambered round indicator and the magazine safety disconnect (gun will not shoot without a magazine inserted). These additional safety features tend to build up crud (chambered round indicator) and make the gun harder to take apart (magazine safety disconnect).

Hope that helps you reach a decision. Which ever one you decide on will be a great gun. It’s hard to go wrong with a Ruger.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think drice spelled it out very well. I went in before Christmas to pick up another Ruger. I went in to buy the Mark III. BECAUSE OF THE SCOPE BASE ALREADY D&t'd. I walked out with the Mark II. I don't need all the extras. Just more stuff to go wrong. If I decide to mount a scope I also have a S&W 22 and it comes with a mount on it. Very handy.
Either way Ruger makes a fine gun. I also like my Single Six. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bear Paw Jack,

My Mark II came drilled and tapped from that factory. It also came with a Ruger weaver style base. I haven’t used the base but if I ever get an urge to put a scope on my pistol I’m good to go. The Single Six is also nice. I owned one for a few years but traded it in to buy the Mark II. I sometimes kick my self for trading that little revolver. Maybe one of these days I’ll pick up a used stainless Single Six.

·
Banned
862 Posts
I got a MkI. Best trigger of them all. Once ruger started adding "features" the started ruining the gun as far as I'm concerned. It isn't a combat pistol, so the heel type mag latch is fine. And a slide release on a target pistol (mine's a Target model with the 6 7/8" barrel) is also unnecessary.

Jeepnik

·
Registered
129 Posts
All of ruger's .22 autos are just fine. I have a ruger 22/45 .22, the same as a mkII internally, it just feels and fits more like a .45, or full size pistol. Its got a bull target barrel, and is super accurate. 8) Only problem is that it doesnt like truncated cone bullets, and when it was new it took a bit of breaking in. No other setbacks. Personnaly, Id go with whatever ruger .22 you find for a better deal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just a quick note and sorry for the delay. the Mark II and Mark III mags are NOT interchangeable. the Mark III has a little mag catch on the side that the Mark II does not. Long story short it's the same mag but the Mark II won't latch into a Mark III gun and a Mark III mag may get stuck in a MarkII gun.

I did recently and finally shoot my ruger MkIII Hunter and it's a real joy...never mind how poorly I shot that day but it shoots well and I'll swap out the front sight for one of the smaller sights they include and try again.

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
Another update.

After over a year of using the little .22 Ruger on the range - myself and many other trainees - I've found it to be an absolutely invaluable training tool!

Reliable and accurate. Easy to shoot. Easy to maintain. About as good as it gets for a training tool. I've had shooters who were having significant problems with their .45's turn to the .22 and within a couple of magazines they really understood the whole grip/sights/trigger combination.

An old concept - using a .22 to help w/marksmanship training - but a very, very valid one even today.

I sent literally thousands of .22's downrange during the past year instead of burning up expensive .45 ammo...

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I may add one more thing. Some of the Army issued MK Is had over 1 million rounds put through them with no more maintenance than normal cleaning. You can't beat that kind of reliability.

·
Registered
879 Posts
mk111

I was a gun trader and had a love of the ruger auto 22 pistol for years. I have probably owned 20 or more and would trade them off or something all of the rugers shot good but all would hang up every once in a while. It was probably from the cheap ammo that I was shooting or from hauling the ammo in the truck all the time. I bought the cheap ammo from walmart in the bulk boxes for about $8.00 for 550. and bought it 2 to 5 boxes at the time and shot it all the time. Well I got rid of my last mk11 and didn't have a 22 ruger pistol for a while so I went out and bought a new one and it was a mk111 I have had this one for about a year and shot probably 5000 rounds through it and it hasn't hung up the first time. I even went back to the dealer and told him ruger messed up and sold a pistol that didn't jam every once in a while. It may start the next outing but so far it hasn't jammed. I like that and plan on keeping this pistol forever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I own a MKI standard 4" that was my dad's and MKII standard 6" that he gave me for Christmas when I was about 8. A few months ago I changed the barrel/receiver out on my MKII for a Tactical Solutions 4.5" matte, threaded barrel. It shoots great and the whole gun weighs a little less than the factory barrel.

before:

after:

had to build a 10/22 to match, and there's only one reason to thread them ;)

I've looked at the MKIII's a lot and like the mag release but it's not a requirement for me like it would be on a carry piece.

The trigger on the MKIII is awful when compared to the MKI's and II's I've shot. I'd love to combine them all and have a MKII w/the MKIII mag release and the MKI trigger. Then you'd have something.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Ruger MK I vs MKII

over the years I have owned several of both MK I and MK II. After selling the last MK II I decided to replace it and never sell again. My replacement was a MK I with 5.5" Target model, 5.5" bull barrel with target sights. This pistol like all the others has worked flawlessly. I do know that the MK I and MK II magazines do interchange but I doubt if the MK III would because of the moving of the release. I would use on snakes but would probably use a 38/357 with snake loads if in snake areas. Great pistols.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have shot ruger mk pistols for years. I have owned all 3 types and loved shooting all of them. I traded guns a lot for years and probably have owned 15 different rugers in the mk 1,2,3's. I bought another one about 1 year ago and have shot it probably 2000 times and it has not hung up a single time. This is rare to find a ruger that doesn't hang up occasionally especially with the cheap ammo that I use. I buy the bulk federal hp from wal-mart. This mk111 is a exception to the rule it has preformed flawlessly from day 1.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I just got a MKIII 22/45 with the 4 1/2 in slab side fixed white three dot sites.. I like it..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts