Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of getting a Stainless Ruger to carry while I am out fishing. Does anyone know which one would make a better snake and bunny carry gun?

I shot the Mark II a couple years ago and liked it. I have seen but not shot the Mark III but like it’s looks. So, which one do you think I should get?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I prefer the mk3 because of the location of the magazine relese. They are basicly the same gun so it really doesnt matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My Mk-II with a 10" barrel and trigger job , i wouldnt part with it for anything.. very sweet shooting .. not made anymore :(
Other than a couple minor differences MK-II's and MK-III's are the same

·
Registered
688 Posts
patm41 said:

My Mk-II with a 10" barrel and trigger job , i wouldnt part with it for anything.. very sweet shooting .. not made anymore :(
Other than a couple minor differences MK-II's and MK-III's are the same
My MK II 10" shoots like a rifle.

Personally, given a choice, I'd get the MK II. The MK III has the loaded chamber indicater and lock. I'm opposed to and irritated by the locks inevitable or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have two SS MkII's. One is the 6 7/8" tapered and the other a 4" bull. If it were me I would buy a MkII just because they are not made anymore!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If someone told me I had to hit a bowling pin at 100yds on the first shot, with a handgun, or else........I'd reach for my MKII Govn't Target Model. When I had a scope on it, it was one ragged hole accurate at 25yds.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ruger still has the full line of mk II's listed on their web site including the 10 inch bull. I think the mk III is just an additional line.

I agree with hobie about that loaded chamber indicator and lock......never needed it before.....don't need it now.

I have 4 mk II's and have put after market grips, triggers. extended bolt releases, and extended mag releases on all of them. I love em....accurate, nifty little guns. They're good right out of the box......I just like to tinker.

Whichever you choose.....it'll shoot straight. Kill a snake for me pal. :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dont know why everybody hates safteys so much. If they bother you...dont use them! I also seriously doubt that ruger is going to make the mkII and the mkIII. They will take the cheepest route...wich is producing only one.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
There were some remarks about the loaded chamber indicator resting on the rimfires RIM and being subject to an un-intended discharge if the pistol was dropped on that side while loaded. Much ado was made about this. A "safety" indicator that actually made the pistol less safe! This was about a year ago, so Ruger may have re-called and/or changed the design a bit to prevent this. I haven't kept up with the controversy as mine is a Mk. II.
Do a search and learn about it before you choose.

Just thought I'd mention that bit of controversy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts