Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have had a Blackhawk 45 for over 30 years. It is the one with the extra A.C.P. cylinder. The first thing I did before it even left the L.G.S. was replace the hammer with a low spur one made for the .44 Super . Then I added a set of over sized grips. white outline rear and red insert front sight and an action job. It is my nightstand gun and I have put about four or five hundred rounds of .45 Colt reloads and about the same amount of 45 A.C.P. ammo. I have no complaints except that I should have gotten a "Super" grip frame. Why Colt and Ruger use that poor excuse for a grip that males one or two fingers hang off the end is beyond me. I also have a Colt S.A.A. 45 that has a pair of Herrets big grips on it because I couldn't hit anything until I got the hand filling grips.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a Blackhawk 45 for over 30 years. It is the one with the extra A.C.P. cylinder. The first thing I did before it even left the L.G.S. was replace the hammer with a low spur one made for the .44 Super . Then I added a set of over sized grips. white outline rear and red insert front sight and an action job. It is my nightstand gun and I have put about four or five hundred rounds of .45 Colt reloads and about the same amount of 45 A.C.P. ammo. I have no complaints except that I should have gotten a "Super" grip frame. Why Colt and Ruger use that poor excuse for a grip that males one or two fingers hang off the end is beyond me. I also have a Colt S.A.A. 45 that has a pair of Herrets big grips on it because I couldn't hit anything until I got the hand filling grips.
I have an 1860 Army and I like the big grips. I have big hands and bigger set of grips is a given for me . I have an extra set of grips for the 1860. I wonder if they would fit. I'm sure I could make custom grips if I set my mind to do it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I much prefer the Old Model three screw version. I have a New Model version in .357 I had to spend hours and lots of money on making work like it should have from the factory. No, there was nothing broken or out of spec...the way Ruger designed the pawl and the transfer bar makes it a frustrating gun without modification. I fitted a Bisley hammer to my plow grip frame, custom fitted the hand to allow free rotation of the cylinder, changed springs several times, re-formed/re-purposed grips, modified and fitted a stainless transfer bar, etc.

If you are sticking to black powder levels of pressure with your .45C loads, I would look for a Uberti. If you plan on loading grizzly loads, get the Ruger.

My Cimmaron Evil Roy .45 Colt has less total dollars in it than my .357 Magnum NMBH and I prefer the Uberti.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have the new model Blackhawk in .30 carbine. Haven.t shot it al lot, but like ir.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The cylinder throats run tight on some of them affecting accurracy.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I posted this thread a little while back.

Texas grips on 44 mag Flattop and Uberti El Patron

It gives a nice option if you still want to go with wood grips as there are many options for rubber grips for the new model that you’re looking at. My personal belief is that for a single action revolver there’s no way you can beat the Ruger.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I much prefer the Old Model three screw version. I have a New Model version in .357 I had to spend hours and lots of money on making work like it should have from the factory. No, there was nothing broken or out of spec...the way Ruger designed the pawl and the transfer bar makes it a frustrating gun without modification. I fitted a Bisley hammer to my plow grip frame, custom fitted the hand to allow free rotation of the cylinder, changed springs several times, re-formed/re-purposed grips, modified and fitted a stainless transfer bar, etc.

If you are sticking to black powder levels of pressure with your .45C loads, I would look for a Uberti. If you plan on loading grizzly loads, get the Ruger.

My Cimmaron Evil Roy .45 Colt has less total dollars in it than my .357 Magnum NMBH and I prefer the Uberti.

Well no Grizzly here but I would like to juice them up at least a bit. If I get a a prospector permit I might be able to use it for wilderness carry . I go into bear country and I would prefer something with a bit more thump than a black powder cap and ball gun.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted this thread a little while back.

Texas grips on 44 mag Flattop and Uberti El Patron

It gives a nice option if you still want to go with wood grips as there are many options for rubber grips for the new model that you’re looking at. My personal belief is that for a single action revolver there’s no way you can beat the Ruger.
Thanks that is exactly what I had in mind to build if I get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got this new one and had to polish the cylinder face a little as at the forcing cone, cylinder was perfect but at hammer end the cylinder would bind. After polishing works perfect. and the Ghost site is exceptionally accurate. I do like the 45 Colt as there is a lot of versatility there with reloading it and the Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
24,230 Posts
I shoot stout loads out of my 44 SPL New Model Blackhawk. Very accurate and reliable--use it as my back-up bear gun when hunting whitetails.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just got this new one and had to polish the cylinder face a little as at the forcing cone, cylinder was perfect but at hammer end the cylinder would bind. After polishing works perfect. and the Ghost site is exceptionally accurate. I do like the 45 Colt as there is a lot of versatility there with reloading it and the Ruger.

View attachment 834779
Tell me more about that sight.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have one in 44 spl. and like very much! It's as tough as a tank! Chambers are perfect on this one. No customizing at all. She is a good shooter!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have a 45Colt Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. Colt was OK but I need the adjustable sights anymore as the classic fixed sights are hard to see. Very nice pistol. I use load considered max for the Colt. They are not bad but do have a bit of recoil.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
12,002 Posts
Have owned several Blackhawks and they are good guns. The cylinder throats usually run small on the 45s but a few twists with a throat reamer can fix that. I did that on several of my Ruger 45s and saw a big improvement in accuracy. Just bought a Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt from the last Lipseys run and can't wait to see how it shoots.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the versatility of the 45lc . I think 265 grain hard cast could be a good for black bear and cowboy plinkers should be easy on the wrist.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Op, that's a pretty nice pistol, size and barrel length. Probably shoots excellent. My super blackhawk in 44 mag is extremely accurate with a scope, shoots as good at 50 yds as marlin 1894's Ive owned.
But I hate the sbh square trigger guard, and had to put a ugly, but comfortable, houge grip on it.
That 45lc will do everything a 44 mag can do in that frame with handloads.

·
Registered
23,700 Posts
Have owned several Blackhawks and they are good guns. The cylinder throats usually run small on the 45s but a few twists with a throat reamer can fix that. I did that on several of my Ruger 45s and saw a big improvement in accuracy. Just bought a Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt from the last Lipseys run and can't wait to see how it shoots.
Did do the throat work or a gun smith. thanks

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I've got 2 Blackhawks right now. One is a 357 and the other is a 45LC/45ACP convertible. The convertible was used by someone doing quick draw competitions and he machined it to a flat top with out sights and pulled the front sight off also. I was thinking about getting into quick draw, but unfortunately there are none close enough to me. It is as smooth as silk. I prefer the sights of the Blackhawk over the Vaquero.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts