Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a .243 caliber rifle and was interested in the Ruger American. Does anyone out there have any experience with this rifle? Pro's and Con's?

·
Registered
317 Posts
My friend bought a 30-06 a few months back. So far he likes it but it hasn't really been huntin yet. I like the way it feels but plastic stocks just don't have any character or warmth like wood. But feels like a nice rifle overall.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend bought a 30-06 a few months back. So far he likes it but it hasn't really been huntin yet. I like the way it feels but plastic stocks just don't have any character or warmth like wood. But feels like a nice rifle overall.
I'm with you on the plastic stocks, but the nice thing is I don't worry about banging it up. For a working gun in rough conditions the plastic stock has some advantages.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm with you on the plastic stocks, but the nice thing is I don't worry about banging it up. For a working gun in rough conditions the plastic stock has some advantages.
I'd agree plastics got its advantages. Ding and scratch resistant and weather resistant. I've got a few plastic stocked guns but love the wood.
If I remember right my buddy only paid around $300.00 for his 30-06. Not sure about the .243 I would think its about the same price.
I might end up with a 17hmr if I run across one at the right time. If it has an adjustable trigger I'll definetly get on. I already have a marlin with the pro trigger and a savage with the accu trigger. That would be a nice comparison with these 3 rifles.
Good luck if you decide to purchase the ruger. Give us a range report and how you like it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a .308 version last year. Very reasonable price(300.00 on Guns America). I added a cheap scope and it shoots better than I can!! I added a slip-on recoil pad from Limbsaver and enjoyed my next trip to the range even more. My 80 year old Dad and I shot it last week and got easy bulls eyes(mostly!) at 100 yds with a variety of ammo. Can't beat it for the money.
P.S. the trigger is adjustable but I left mine alone
Mark

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
As an added benefit, the stock has steel bedding blocks so glass bedding isn't needed. Do check that the barrel is fully free floated. a good test is squeeze the stock and barrel at the tip of the stock. If the stock touches the barrel, it needed to be opened up a bit more. A good test is a folded business card, if it clears the barrel in the channel, your good to go.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I read on a different forum of a fella with a 243 Ruger American. He used it for fox hunting. Accuracy was good (two shots touching and one sllightly out) and reliable. He liked it very much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
They look like good rifles, and get good reviews. I don't see how you can go wrong. I want a .243 also, but this last year, I bought my wife a Stainless Tikka Lite in 7mm-08, and now I'm dying to get me one in .243.... after I get another couple Marlin's I want even worse. LOL

Luis

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I've been checking the Ruger American out too, wouldn't mind one in .223, looks like cheaply priced but well made rifles. Rugged simple working guns. No bench rest rifles but meant to be used in the field.
Heard of some initial magazine problems with some but Ruger has good customer service as far as I know.
Comes in stainless steel now too.
Savage has a line of rifles like this too in their Axis line that is very similar, honestly I think Ruger "borrowed" a lot of ideas from the Savage Axis but it doesn't matter as long as the rifle is good.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I have been thinking about one in .308 myself!!!!

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've been checking the Ruger American out too, wouldn't mind one in .223, looks like cheaply priced but well made rifles. Rugged simple working guns. No bench rest rifles but meant to be used in the field.
Heard of some initial magazine problems with some but Ruger has good customer service as far as I know.
Comes in stainless steel now too.
Savage has a line of rifles like this too in their Axis line that is very similar, honestly I think Ruger "borrowed" a lot of ideas from the Savage Axis but it doesn't matter as long as the rifle is good.
Ruger straight up hijacked the accutrigger and called it the marksman trigger. I like Ruger but I have seen people on other forums bashing them for this.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd agree plastics got its advantages. Ding and scratch resistant and weather resistant. I've got a few plastic stocked guns but love the wood.
If I remember right my buddy only paid around $300.00 for his 30-06. Not sure about the .243 I would think its about the same price.
I might end up with a 17hmr if I run across one at the right time. If it has an adjustable trigger I'll definetly get on. I already have a marlin with the pro trigger and a savage with the accu trigger. That would be a nice comparison with these 3 rifles.
Good luck if you decide to purchase the ruger. Give us a range report and how you like it.
I buddy of mine has one in .243. If he ever takes it to the range I'll give you a report.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I sighted in a Ruger American in .270 for one of my young boys scouts ( FYI I told his dad to get the .243). With the Winchester 130 power point 3 shots under an inch was the norm with a cool barrel.

These rifles are taking the wind out of Tikka and Savage.

Chocdog

1 - 20 of 42 Posts