Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Yooper-Thats pretty cool if a guy just wants a protection revolver.The velocity loss is quite abit but it is still in the 45LC max range with full house 454 loads.Looks like it is a real kicker out of such a short barrel and much worse than mine is.

Protection only..It would work but for hunting the velocity loss makes the 454 loads a heavy 45LC which isn't all that bad..

Jayco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was surprised at the velocity loss with the short barrel. Apparently the 454 benefits greatly from a longer barrel. I can load my 4" 629 down to those velocities and the revolver isn't much, if any, larger or heavier.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Those Alaskans are reallly hot looking revolvers, they are heavier than they appear in my opinion. I had the pleasure of handling one earlier today at the local shop. I wish they would make the darn thing in a 4" bbl.

·
Registered
111 Posts
:shock: I'll bet MONTE had something to do with starting this thread. Old "Marlin Talkers" know what I'm refering to. :wink:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Isn't that available in 480?? The thing to do with those shorties is to load a heavy for caliber cast bullet at about 8-900fps...just like Bowden's 50 Special. Nice low pressure, low kick, but would go thru a lot of meat before stopping. What's the heaviest .454 you can do.....350?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Tubby-JB Young makes a 420 cast for the 45colt/454 with a .370 meplat.I do have some 360's I haven't finished working up yet and I have seen some 405 grain Cast data but not 420?

Jayco

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
jaycocreek said:
Tubby-JB Young makes a 420 cast for the 45colt/454 with a .370 meplat.I do have some 360's I haven't finished working up yet and I have seen some 405 grain Cast data but not 420?

Jayco
Man, I don't know...........I think I'd rather pack around the full sized version in a bandoleer configuration than shoot that little SOB.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Tubby-I agree.Mine does not kick anything close to the pictures shown of the little 454.I do have a 360 grain cast from JB but I am only going to load it to 45LC velocities like in the 1200's..Much easier on the gun and shooter yet Deadly on target..You know us "Brittle Old Ones". :lol: :lol:
Here is the one I have.

Jayco

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ruger has done some pretty darn smart things, especially when Bill was still alive. They have also done some rather perplexing things. What they have done with their 454s and 480s is really in the latter category IMO. They first built a good long range hunting revolver. No big problem. That left out those who simply want to use and carry. So then they built a snubby for those who have an emotional "need" that needs scratching - definitely a gamble by the bean counters I believe. Ruger has still left out those of us who wouldn't mind having a packable revolver (4 - 5 1/2") that could drop off some 400 grainers in the neighborhood of 1000 fps. It seems too obvious to me but I've been wrong enough times that I won't even be surprised if no one makes 30-06s before I leave this world.

If Ruger had really hoped to see their 480 take off they should have built it in more practical packages including a single action version. (Wouldn't it be ironic if it was Taurus with their 5 1/2 incher who was responsible for the success of the great 480?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that part of the problem is that when a large revolver frame is required, it may as well include a usable barrel because it is not concealable to begin with. It is no less of a packing gun with a 4-5" barrel and has a much better sighting plane with the longer barrel.
I expect the 480 will show a similar velocity loss, but it will probably be the better choice for bear protection with the heavier bullets available. This is the niche market for the Alaskan.
Ruger has had some fine, innovative ideas and I would also like to see them come out with a five shot 480 single action in a variety of barrel lengths.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I am not concerned with concealing these big guns but I do have a preference for the shorter barrels and can shoot them as well or better in spite of what I read about sighting planes. (My first revolver was a 6 1/2", then a 5 1/2", a 4 5/8", and finally as collateral, a 7 1/2". The last one, a 44 Mag, had the best trigger of them all but I still shot the 4 5/8" better so I kept the latter.) Three inches makes a lot of difference to me for carrying and the 45 Colt gives up nothing to the 44 Mag in a strong revolver.

I think I can understand Ruger's reasoning on these guns. There is little use in the major market for these things outside of hunting so they were originally marketed as big hunting guns. If one were inclined to scope one up an use it in that way, even shooting a bit long with proper skill, I can imagine something like the 454 in the 9 1/2" would be the ticket. Of course it is no secret that they are ugly in their original configuration and Ruger had to have heard about all of that that they needed to hear. I would imagine that part of the reasoning for the "Alaskan" was a response to that. It is a nicer looking gun without the funny barrel sticking out, the integral scope ring cut-outs etc. Since I enjoy and "need" to shoot the weapons I use I would want to use that thing quite a bit, something I can't see doing with a snubby cannon. The Alaskan, I don't believe, is intended so much to be used as to be worn. It is "jewelry" for those who need something as cool as what "Mr Jones" has - or in this case the neighbor, "Wes Smith", has. It's not a bad marketing strategy in today's market I don't believe. I just wish the companys who build stuff that seems intended for use in a certain set of real conditions would come and poll those who live in those areas. Marlin did well with their Guide Gun but a lot of other folks seem to think only of the dollar signs and use whatever it takes, including misleading "advertising" to move the product. Thankfully, I bought the 5 1/2" 45 Colt Redhawk before it was dropped. In physical size it's about as big as anything I would want to carry and it delivers a decent payload. I probably don't need the big 400 grain slugs the 480 can easily push but "they" do appeal to my emotions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadn't thought about the "jewelry" concept with respect to firearms, but the argument has merit. I've always looked at firearms from the perspective of need rather than want, so I'm probably a bit behind the times with that.
The term "Alaskan" does carry an implication, so polling the market is a good idea. It would be ironic if the revolver sells well in the lower 48 and doesn't do well in Alaska!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was kicking around with my shooting buddy today, 97 degrees and 80% humidity so we passed on shooting, at a gunshop and they had just sold the first Alaskan that they received. Went to a Policeman buddy of theirs, go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts