Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ruger 10-22 takedown today. Can anyone recommend a scope that I can put on the riffle and still have it fit in the bag? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Reactions: richard07924

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I put a set of Skinner's dovetail mount peep on mine, and like it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had one and I put on a 3-9x Simmons scope on mine.
Works great!
You do need to get the right height rings to clear the front sight.
I think that's as much scope as you can put on one.
But takedown is no longer a possibility.
So factor that in if you still need it to takedown.
The Simmons was really nice and clear and like $80.

I've sold all my semi auto 22's and only own levers and pumps now.
Faster to reload and can shoot anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to just leave it as is and shoot iron sights.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
You might go with a micro red dot scope from primary arms or aimpoint.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check out the UTG 3-9 x 32 "Bugbuster". It comes with a nice set of QD Rings too. For the money it's a super scope. Mine fits (just) back in the carry bag with the scope mounted.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I love iron sight shooting :) If you're going to stay with irons, and I don't blame you a bit and it *will* be much more portable, check out Skinner sights as Cottonsacks said above. Also, Williams and Tech Sights make some pretty fantastic stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I went with peeps on mine. But the UTG Bug Buster is a popular choice. Personally, I would buy another Nikon 3X P223 scope. These are awesome scopes!

CW

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd also vote for peep sights. I like the Ruger take downs as camping and hiking guns, and just can't see shooting far enough on a camping trip to need a scope. Guess I'm too lazy to walk 100 yards to retrieve dinner...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Any scope that is compact will work great .I put a 2.5 power on mine.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
10-22! We should tie you to a tree and throw Tinker Toys at you. Well that is what my brothers used to do to me if I bought a Ruger:biggrin:

If you like Red Dots and do not need magnification. I like these little Bushnel Strikefires. Very Compact, light and work great. Aluminum Frame. Really solid construction.

I know it is not a scope, but I rarely use a scope on a Rimfire..

·
Registered
691 Posts
LGS tried to sell me one last week. The deal-breaking question "where can I get ammo for it?" ended the conversation.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I took the gun with stock sights to the range the other day and was very pleased. At 25 yards, I shot a group of 50 rounds that I could cover with a quartet. I know that out to 100 yards or so that's not great, but with my eyes there is no way I'm taking shots at squirrels (with open sights) at much more then 50 yards anyway. The price of ammo is getting crazy. I remember a time not so long ago when $10 would have you shooting .22 all day. Not anymore. It cost me $10 a box. (50 rounds, federal target loads.) It's enough to make you want to call the cops for highway robbery. I now understand why people are waiting in line at big box stores to get their "daily allotment" evin if they aren't shooting daily.
Anyway, I digress, thanks again for the info and tips.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
10-22! We should tie you to a tree and throw Tinker Toys at you. Well that is what my brothers used to do to me if I bought a Ruger:

I've got 2 now. I bought one with the full manlicher stock a while back. A friend of mine and I brought his 12 year old daughter shooting and the rifle was too heavy for her. The main reason for buying the 10/22 was to teach my twin boys to shoot at a nice young age. I got to worrying that the riffle may be to heavy for them so I got the takedown version with the synthetic stock. Much lighter, I think that by the time the boys are 5-7 (depending on the level of maturity) the lighter gun will be just fine. Until then it's a great pack riffle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts