Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Ruger #1 in 218 Bee from a local Calguns member. It is now in the 10 day wait period (kind of a California thing), so I can begin research on the 218 Bee. If you have a favorite handload for the Bee that you might be willing to share, I will appreciate the information.

Dies, brass and some bullets came with the rifle, so I can begin loading anytime.

Peter in CA

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sounds like a great gun. I have only seen 1 other one in a 218 bee at a gunstore in superior Wis. a few years back. You probably need older reloading books to find info on that caliber. I just looked in my copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads and there was 4 1/2 pages of info on 218 bee he didn't list specific loads like he usually does. It looks like he kind of treats it like a little bit larger case than a Hornet and same powders and bullets as hornet. Mostly pistol powders except IMR 4198. He doesn't list Hogdon's LIL Gun but in a Hornet I used to have a Browning Low wall it was the cats Meow. Sorry I cant find any specific loads for you but hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
44 Old Guy,
Thank you for the reply. I bought Ken Waters complete works and he does list some loads in that volume. I also bought a 1953 NRA publication that has some data, and the Internet is full of various links to what other people have tried. I get to try mine out this coming Friday (July 11th).
On a different note, talk about Martlinitis (which I suffer from), I now seem to have a mild form of Ruger #1 "itis" as I have bought my second number 1. It is in 45-70 and it is not quite in the 10 day period yet, so I have time to get some cartridges loaded.
Peter

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had best luck with 14.1gr of Win680 and the 46gr Speer fp or 45gr Hornady hp. You might also try up to 16gr of RL-7. These loads were shot in a Marlin 1894CL. Good luck in your pursuit of the perfect load.

Goat

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My 45th Edition Lyman Reloading Manual lists a number of loads for the Bee. The manual says they got the best accuracy and velocity with IMR 4227 powder. With 45 gr jacketed, they give a starting load of 11.5 gr @ 2481 fps and a max load of 13 gr @ 2754 fps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
All,
I put a 45-70 Ruger #1 in California DOJ jail today and low and behold the shop had a Marlin Model 97 for sale on the rack. Couple of minor flaws, but still visible case colors on the receiver. I bought it. Serial number looks to be made circa 1905.
Told you I have a case of Marlinitis.
I pick them both up in 11 days.

Peter

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yoo will love the .218bee
I've shot that caliber for several years in a contender.
my buddy had one in a marlin.
great accuracy.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
My friend who owns a gunshop down the road from me has a model 43 Winchester in 218 Bee for sale and its in really good condition. At one time I thought about buying it but I really haven't made up my mind on it. Gotta love the Model 43 Win.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
horseshoe,
My Winchester 43 is in .22 Hornet, with a nice early Weaver scope (4x I think) on it. I have not shot it nearly enough. I have not yet taken my Bee to the range. Life keeps getting in the way of trips to the range.

Peter

·
Registered
450 Posts
The 218 bee is a fun little round, I have it in my contender and have lots of fun with it. Have not shot it in a few years but I always liked it for chuck hunting.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
All,
I put a 45-70 Ruger #1 in California DOJ jail today and low and behold the shop had a Marlin Model 97 for sale on the rack. Couple of minor flaws, but still visible case colors on the receiver. I bought it. Serial number looks to be made circa 1905.
Told you I have a case of Marlinitis.
I pick them both up in 11 days.

Peter
11 days wait for a long gun?I get impatient waiting on my 5 min background check!LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boobarzo,
Yes, the California waiting period. I have gotten used to it. Lets me get brass and bullets before the gun shows up. I also bought a scope for the 45-70 Ruger #1.
Next year we get to take a safety test and get a firearms safety card, before we may purchase a firearm. Now we Californians only have the safety card for handguns. Costs money to get them too. Our state government loves to control us citizens.

Peter

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Ruger's Number One is a real favorite of mine. Have owned four. Down to one now. Sadly. I sure do like that one though!

Congrats on the .218, I know little about that cartridge. The .45/70 I know... Easy to load the Ruger to shoulder-buster levels... Shooter shoulder & game shoulder! :biggrin:

Guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,
I had both my Ruger #1's out to the range this morning. Pardon the pun, but the 218 Bee is a real HONEY of a rifle and cartridge. Soft shooting, accurate, easy to reload. Everything that I am looking for in a rifle. The 45-70 was a bit of a thumper (especially after the Bee), so I will need to cut down the velocities. I am only hunting paper at 50 paces.
My daughter went with me. She was shooting her Martini .22LR single shot and the new Marlin Model 97, which kept locking up on something in the action. I think that the ejector is the culprit, so I will need to see what can be done. She is a pretty good shot with her Martini.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
The ruger #1 is a spectacular rifle, and I imagine the 218 bee is a nice varmit/song dog round, the 45-70 is a real thumper. that is the caliber of my #1 and it is so nicely balanced I am scared to put a scope or a sling on it. It is about the nicest off hand gun and pulls to the shoulder similar to my citori shotgun a real dream and properly balanced. I use the Ken waters loads of speer 405 gr over 53 gr 3031 and it is a beast of a load, can't wait to shoot a beast with it.

I like the 22 hornet and just cus of that I imagine I would really like the 218bee. I will stay tuned for more updates on range time with the 218bee. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I use 14.7 grains of IMR 4198 under the blunt 46 grain Speer bullet in my Marlin 1894 CL. This is an old lot of powder. I bought about a lifetime supply of it some thirty or more years ago.

My advice for the No. 1 is to forget the flat nosed bullets and load spitzers of between 35 to 50 grains. They will not function in the Marlin, so I have no data. Most manuals use lever guns for development. You should do better in the strong Ruger. I would call Hodgdon as they have almost cornered the market on powder brands. They should be able to give you a starting place.

I called a collector a few Weeks ago ready to buy a No. 1 that he had been offering for sale for a couple of years. I was a few days late. It had sold. It to seems to me that the 1S is a heavy varmint for the Bee. There are no flies on the 1S, but lighter might be better. I may find a nice used IA and redo a .218 in that barrel contour.

Enjoy your rifle. I have several Marlins including a .219 Zipper. The Bee gets out of the safe more than all others after deer season closes.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Peter,
Hogdgons website has current data for H4198, ww296/H110 and Lil'Gun. I have a Winchester M43 and it loves 13 gr. LilGun for app 2980 fps. with the hornady VMax that shoots into less than an inch at 100yds. I also load a mild load of 4.3 gr. Unique with a Win. 46gr. HP for app 1800fps. that shoots into 1/4" at 50 yds.

Hip

P.S. It lists 14 gr. Lil'Gun with the VMav at 3130 fps.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
P.O. Ackley, Handbook for shooters and reloaders Vol. I&II are pretty good reads, and have loading data for the .218 Bee, as well as a good deal of information about cartridges and developement in general.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
If the .45/70 loads are producing a little too much "thump" just open your reloading manual to the "trapdoor" section. There are some really nice, low-recoil loads in those sections of the various manuals. They're intended to be low pressure, enjoyable loads, easy on the rifle and easy on the shooter.

Glad you got out with the two Rugers!

Guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guy,
The loads I used were from the Trapdoor section, so I am going to go lighter.
All,
Thanks for the loading ideas for the Bee. I just need to find Lilgun powder. In my neck of the woods, any powder is hard to come by.
Peter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts