Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a RPP cloverleaf peep on my Marlin 1894C. I am wondering if most of you decide to take the front sight hood off or leave it on with this type sight? I am sure there are pros and cons both ways but welcome you opinions and real experience shooting with or without the hood.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not yet shot the gun with the new sight so I can not say for sure. The sight has points at 3 and 9 o'clock that are supposed to help the eyes find the front post elevation wise and the same at 12 and 6 to help center the front post or bead.
I have a very old 22 short with round peep and like that as well. I am hoping some people may be able to answer my front sight hood question.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Main reason I ordered the RPP was so I didn't need to put a taller front sight on.

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
I leave the hood off but I did that when shooting the original rear sight.
The Cloverleaf gives great field of view, the 'points' seem to get my eye centered up quicker. Your mileage, and vision my differ!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I put a Cloverleaf on my Henry and did not replace the front post, which does not have a hood. I bought a Cloverleaf for the same reason, not having to replace the front post.

On my 1894C, I replaced the front post with a fiber optic (TruGlo) and replace the hood with an open one. But, I left the semi-buckhorn along, and it still stands out.

Both setups have a great sight picture. So, all is good.

·
Registered
14,149 Posts
I leave the hood off. I replaced my front bead with a narrow post, made by Skinner. I'm sighted about 3" high at 85 yards, iron sight hunting distance, so I can see all of the target. The deer's shoulder is completely visible and I like it that way. With my aperture rear, I get a sight picture like a Military target rifle. At my iron sight limit, 125 yards or so, the bullet strikes at the top of the post. Everybody's eyes are different, you'll have to do some test shooting at paper bullseyes, tin cans or clay pigeons. If you're hunting with your 1894, you need to be able to break a clay pigeon or skip a soda pop can reliably at your hunting distance. Then you'll know when you've found the best sight combo for you.
XS2.jpg

·
Registered
931 Posts
The hood seems to play a bigger role on my 1894C than my 336W. The front post on my 1894 can be tapped out, where my 336 is screwed in.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
With peep sights I don't like having a hood over my front sight, it distracts my focus from the front sight. I think it comes down to personal preference. I will just keep a bunch of sight hoods in my spare parts box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts