Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

The wife and I are going to a new range tomorrow (joining the Estes Park Gun and Archery Club iffinya wanna shoot sometime!) and we are going to try out several types of ammo in our rifles.

In my 336w i sighted it in with LE 160 and am gonna shoot some tomorrow, but I got curious about the blue box fed's in 170gr rn.
So, I went to the store to buy some and the guy said that the round nose powershoks were unsafe in my tubular mag? Is he right or misinformed?

And just for your info, my it will be the first time my wife gets to shoot her XL7 .270 donning the new boyd's stock. (it shot 1" before). We are going to try some blue box and some corelokts as well.

And finally I get to take out my 981T and put a few hundred rounds through it! Weeeee

Steven.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
He said what ??? ??? .........He's ignorant to the fact and unknowledgable!

They're perfectly safe!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He told me to only load one in the chamber and one in the mag? I didn't want to tell him he was wrong right there in the store because its a good shop and I am currently in good standing (which may help for negotiations later), but guarantee i am not the first he has told that to...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Grandninja, if you're talking about factory loaded .30-30 ammo, it is perfectly safe to fill your tube magazine to full capacity with it and shoot it by the magazine full. I couldn't even count the number of round-nosed Remington and Federal rounds that I've run through my 336 over the last 35 years. I'm still here, undamaged, as is my 336.

Your "shop pro" is misinformed. The proof is in the fact that Remington has been selling round-nosed Core-Lokt ammo for .30-30's for at least as long as I've owned my 336, and if the round-nosed bullets were indeed dangerous to use in tube magazines, that ammo wouldn't have lasted as long in the marketplace as it has.

As an aside, some of the stupidist albeit well meaning advice I hear comes from the owners and employees of my local mom and pop gun shop. A kid came in with a CVA blackpowder rifle, asking which way he had to adjust the back sight to lower the point of impact. The stellar advice he got was to RAISE the rear sight to LOWER point of impact -seriously!! What he should have been told was to move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to shift. This same guy, by the way, once told a customer to single-load Remington Core-Lokt .30-30 ammo because the round nosed bullets weren't safe in tube mags. He also said that the .30-30 would just "bounce off" game beyond 100 yards. Then there was the time that he told a custmer that Ruger single action revolvers were the weakest on the market because they have cast frames and could blow apart under normal use.... I could go on and on but you get the idea....

Proof that you don't need to know much about guns to own a gun shop, I guess.

T-C

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have used them for long time and they are safe.. you will be hard pressed to find any 30-30 ammo factory that won't be safe to use..

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A friend of mine is a very knowledgable gun afficiando. He once told me that if a 30-30 factory load was not meant for a tube feed lever gun it would be plastered all over the ammo box. ;D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Tele-Caster said:
Proof that you don't need to know much about guns to own a gun shop, I guess.

T-C
Sounds like the shop I once frequented. The owner was fielding a customer complaint regarding a Kimber 1911 pistol. Neither the customer nor shop owner could get the ammo to go into the magazine. The shop owner was cussing the Kimber as a non-standard piece of junk and said it would have to go back to the factory for repair. I observed and pinted out that they were trying to stuff .45 AUTO RIM ammo into the magazine. Go figure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
''A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.'' I once visited a rural ''country store''. Proudly displayed behind the counter was a single shot 12ga that sported a barrel length of about 12''. After being assured that it was fully functional, a few kind words convinced the owner that it might not be wise to keep that around.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
How long has Remington been making their Round nose Ammunition....

From what I understand it's the Remington 150 Grain Ballistic Tip Ammo you have to be careful of using in Lever Action Rifles where the Cartridges line up in the magazine NOT the Round Nose Core-Lokts.

When I used a Winchester .30-30 Lever Gun exclusively it wasn't until I started using the Federal Blue Box 170 Grains that my accuracy really improved. Some say it depends on Rifle... I guess some love the stuff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, we had fun! Kind of....got there and since yesterday was 80 and sunny i figured a little light drizzle would pass quickly, but nope it turned into a full on snow storm. Got about 2 inches in an hour, so we drove around Rocky Mountain National Park and stared at the elk for a while and when the sun broke we got to it!

Got the 981t sighted in and man that thing is a blast to shoot! After that we shot the wife's xl7 .270 with the corelokts and the groups weren't that great, then i tried the blue box federal and put about a .75" group on paper. We were a little underprepped this time and only brought 3 targets, so they are full of a lot of holes, i will post a couple pics later. Looked at the time and realized it was already 5:20 and need to get going, so I only got to shoot 6 shots outa the 336w. I brought those 170 feds and didn't even get time to use em (means i got plenty for next go round). But my first three shots out of a gun I haven't shot since October felt good! Started walking up to the target to spot the groups and the closer I got the more I realized I wasn't near the bull....It was 3 inches high (where I had it sighted in with my 160LE) and 2 3/4 in to the right, but all three in one big ragged hole!!!! :eek:

So i clicked the nikon prostaff over the required inches and pulled off three more shots pretty quick. The first one I pulled low (it hit the bull) and the other two were again one ragged hole!

This was a new range to me and the setup was different, but if any of you are in the neighborhood of Estes Park, CO and want to shoot, let me know!

Steven

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Sounds like you and the wife had a good time.......that's what it's all about!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.