Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find any data on trailboss round ball loads. Has anyone tried this ,does 10gr trailboss under .457 ball sound ok. From what I have read and seen as long as you don't compress it or stick the bullet in the barrel you will be fine. Im just looking for a rabbit grouse load for when Im out hunting and get tired of hard tack and sow bellies. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't see why that will not work like a hot damn. I used to put 3 round balls and 10Gr of unique. Just for kicks. Also did the round ball and shot thing. The shot is near usless.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was fairly loud may be little to hot for small game .Think I will play with less powder and try for accuracy only need 30 yards or so.All else fails go hotter and have cheap practice load. Why wouldn't every one love 45-70s, why would people eat hogs when they could be dinning on elk!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
diablo slim
Welcome to the Marlin Owners forum!

How does 10grs Trailboss fill the .45-70 case? I've shot it in the .45 Colt & .44 Special, but never a rifle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
diablo slim!

How does 10grs Trailboss fill the .45-70 case? I've shot it in the .45 Colt & .44 Special, but never a rifle.
Thanks.
I just this moment loaded some up for the weekend using a 10 grain charge. Just over half-full it looks, seating the big Lee 500 grain RNFP to 2.50" there's still a wee bit of airspace left after seating it down.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I did a search for "45-70 round ball loads" and found a couple of loads. If I can dig out my Spence Wolf book, I will check it as well. The shot loads in the 45-70 are OK, but not for much past 20 feet. Not enough pattern. Works well on snakes though. And chipmunks, I am told.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I just this moment loaded some up for the weekend using a 10 grain charge. Just over half-full it looks, seating the big Lee 500 grain RNFP to 2.50" there's still a wee bit of airspace left after seating it down.

Thanks, I think I've read not to compress Trailboss. Lots of floks using it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Trail boss does not play well when broken up from crushing (compressing) , changes the energy release rate big time. But can reduce it down to the smallest load that will get the given projectile out of the barrel with no problems. Using kapok or some type of filler to keep the small charge near the primer helps keep the burns more consistence with mouse loads though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts