Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to the woods several times this past week, and find an almost total lack of mast. The only nuts I've found are acorns, and they are small, and not plentiful. I haven't found even one hickory nut, or any walnuts. The only thing in abundance seems to be lots of persimmons. A lot more dead squirrels on the roads shows that they are really ranging for food. On the bright side, we'll probably have a mild winter. My neighbor says that a lack of mast always means a mild winter because if it were going to be a hard winter, God would have made more food for his critters. POWDERMAN. :D :D :D :D

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
The woods have taken a beating the last few years,the Flora and Fawna have changed.Squirrels have stripped the Pines and Oaks and the Deer have eaten stuff they used to leave alone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were huge areas stripped clean of vegetation, including leaves on the ground, goldanged turkeys. Looks like there'll be no mushrooms again next spring. POWDERMAN. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
336 Posts
In Western NC we have a bumper crop of acorns, walnuts, beechnuts, etc. This seems to happen every 3 years in this area. I am predicting a very poor whitetail bowhunting season this year in this area, because the deer really don't have to move much in order to find the food. However, now after the Frances and Ivan storms have moved through the area about 90% of all the fruits and nuts are on the ground.

This can be a good thing for late season bowhunters, because the nuts and fruits will be devoured fairly quickly. I have noticed that since the storms, all game have moved off the food plots and feeding stations and devoted their entire time feeding on the whiteoak acorns, etc. This of course happens every year but rarely this early in the season.

I don't know if we'll have a mild winter or not, but the hunting season here in my area will surely be a slow start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The oak and hickory mast crop in southeast Tennessee is pretty poor this year also. A mild winter would be okay by me though.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hazelnuts are still green here yet- they are usually dried up and gone to seed by this time of the year. The Whitetail runs are covered in chokecherries that are ripe- lots of deer scat full of cherry pits on the runs. We have a funny strain of Fox Squirrel that ears on pine cones here- I've already been barked at 3 times since Sept 1st.

Blue Berries very scarce, but lots of wild raspberry and white goose berries. Plenty of the little red grouse berries come up in the labrador tea, but grouse sightings have been few and far between. Looks like a good year for wild cranberries- with the onset of frost, the grouse shooting should pick up in the willow and cranberry thickets....

Not sure on any predictions for the severity of winter here- we usually just end up riding it out anyways, come what may....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
heavy winter snows!

:shock: with 4 hurricaines???/ i say better get your boots out this winter! she's gonna snow! we'll have 2 good one's here in tenn i say! :roll:
Santa is gonna need more helpers this year! :lol:

·
Registered
205 Posts
A native American friend of mine told me that this year we would have a rough winter. I asked him how he knew...were the squirrels storing lots of nuts? Were horses growing premature winter coats?....etc. He replied that the reason he knew this was that he had oberved many white men putting up lots of firewood!

·
Registered
205 Posts
A native American friend of mine told me that this year we would have a rough winter. I asked him how he knew...were the squirrels storing lots of nuts? Were horses growing premature winter coats?....etc. He replied that the reason he knew this was that he had oberved many white men putting up lots of firewood!

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
El Nino is building again,that will force the storms to North America.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
With a mild El Nino, the PNW will be warmer and wetter.........lot's of snow in the MTs and not so much down here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts