Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 39A that I've probably put 2,000 rounds through and have never had a problem when working the action and loading a shell into the chamber - until today. The only thing I did different was use a different brand of bulk ammo. After about 30 rounds I was having to double lever to load the shell on most of the rounds. Very annoying.

I'm thinking maybe the new bulk ammo was dirty so when I brought the rifle home I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Then I loaded 10 rounds in the tubular magazine the worked though them all with out firing them. No double levering required - good deal.

Do you think the ammo was the problem?

I'm new to lever guns so I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes.

I use a good old American Quarter Dollar as an adjustment tool.

It fits the slot perfectly, and is made of copper on the inside so it's not hard enough to allow you to over torque the screw. It will bend before it hurts the rifle.

Also, the soft coin won't bugger the slot in the take down screw or mess up the blue.

So stick a Quarter in that slot and bear down on it until the action begins to bind. If the lever starts feeling tight, back off a little.

If it doesn't make the action bind, you are good to go.

On my rifle, I torque the screw to the point that the quarter JUST begins to bend and it's perfect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to hear there is consensus about what may have been the problem. The bulk ammo I used, 36 grain Federal HP, was actually quite accurate out of the rifle - at least for the kind of shooting I do. So I'd like to be able to keep it as an option for plinking and practice.

I typically practice by shooting clay pigeons at 50 yards and then shooting the pieces - not too bad for a middle-aged (or better) guy with peep sights. (At least that's what I keep telling myself!) ;D

Thanks again to JMarriot and Fast Frank for your thoughtful replies! :)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Likely just needed a good cleaning before you went to the range, I shoot mostly Fed bulk out of all my .22s CCI standard velocity in bulk is my second most shot ammo. My 39A needs a good going over about every 1000 rds or hiccups occur.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ike said:
I have a new 39A that I've probably put 2,000 rounds through and have never had a problem when working the action and loading a shell into the chamber - until today. The only thing I did different was use a different brand of bulk ammo. After about 30 rounds I was having to double lever to load the shell on most of the rounds. Very annoying.

I'm thinking maybe the new bulk ammo was dirty so when I brought the rifle home I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Then I loaded 10 rounds in the tubular magazine the worked though them all with out firing them. No double levering required - good deal.

Do you think the ammo was the problem?

I'm new to lever guns so I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.
Ike,

Sounds like one of the probs that I was haveing with my 2010 39a.

On mine,, the bullet would hit the top edge of the chamber and hang up. Lead Round Nose's fed better,, and Hollow Points with a straight cut hung the most.

Check the Hold down screw for the Cartridge Guide,, located on top of the Receiver,, it may be loose.

On Mine,, I took the receiver apart,, and I could see where the bullets were hitting on the edge of the Chamber. So I adjusted the Cartridge Guide by inserting a very small screwdriver underneath it,, and bending it just a wee bit towards the chamber opening,, so that it would guide the bullet into the chamber without hitting on the edge's.

Hope this helps,
Joe :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today at the range the the problem was worse than ever. In fact, a couple of times I wasn't sure I would be able to close in the lever again.

The gun is just under a month old and I took it back to Scheels to let them know I was not happy. They are going to send it in to their gunsmith in Sioux Falls, SD to try and correct the problem. I hope they can fix it, otherwise, they said they'll give me all of my money back. If it comes to that I'll go back to the Henry Frontier I had earlier. I really like that 39a but it has to work too!

Cheers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ike said:
Today at the range the the problem was worse than ever. In fact, a couple of times I wasn't sure I would be able to close in the lever again.

The gun is just under a month old and I took it back to Scheels to let them know I was not happy. They are going to send it in to their gunsmith in Sioux Falls, SD to try and correct the problem. I hope they can fix it, otherwise, they said they'll give me all of my money back. If it comes to that I'll go back to the Henry Frontier I had earlier. I really like that 39a but it has to work too!

Cheers.
Ike,

Tell me all about it... ;D

I was out shooting mine this afternoon as well. All was good untilst the Extractor didn't want to pull the case out...

I like my 39a too,, but it is the Tinkernnist gun,, that I have ever owned.

Maybe I bent the Cartridge guide down too much,, or maybe I just need to change the extractor out to the Wisner's. Who know's.

In this Hot Weather though,, I'm bout tired of Tinkering with it,, and I think I'll go back to the Henery Frontier for a While,, and let the 39A Snooze,, whilst I try to figure out how to best Tinker with it some more.

Everbody needs a gun to Tinker with right... ;D

It's really funny how so many put down the Henry Frontier and boasted so much about the 39a,, But the Henery is the one that Loves to go shooting,, whilst the 39A,, Love's to be pampered and Tinkered with.

Good Luck getting your's repaired. If I have to send mine back,, I'll probly try to get marlin to let me send it to Paducca Shooters,

Joe :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts