Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. ...O.K,...I know I'm gonna hear it from every one ,but ,I thought the bore would clean up better than it did [ it's sort of rough],I haven't shot it yet and and it may be a shooter and a good bore lapping might do the trick but everything else is good mechanically .So my next question is should I enjoy its historic significance in it's entirety or should I make a really nice .32 win. spl. 1893 with a rebore and rechamber of the barrel? should I add that I'm still satisfied with the rifle as it's 104 years old and everyones bound to have some problems by then you know?Does anyone have a suggestion as to who will do this on the original barrel and do it good?Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Don't do anything till you try it even rough bores sometimes turn out to be shooters. If it doesn't shoot worth a damn then try fire lapping. If it still doesn't shoot then consider relining. A reline to the original calibur, done right, should not hurt the collectors value of the rifle. Boring it to another calibur may hurt the value significantly based on what I have read. But till you shoot it you may be ruining a perfectly good rifle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have heard these folks can do a reline very well.

http://forums.sixgunner.com/links.asp?action=goto&id=2

I they also restore leverguns and do other gunsmithing. I hae also heard good things about their take down conversions. Anyway they call what you may need done barrel sleeving and it is listed next t last in the first column on the page that link goes to.

FWIW I have read, so I am at the mercy of those that write, but their reline jobs tend to be at least as accurate as rebarreled guns.

B

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bman and others; 'I had no intention of trying any thing until I've at the yery least shot it which I hope will happen today then I'll have an idea of what's really happening with it . firelapping was no.2 on my list after a thorough cleaning[done]When and if I exhaust my bag 0f tricks determines when I start looking elsewhere.But I did send an E-Mail to that link and thanks for the info. shootrj2003 8)

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 1893 in 38-55 had a darkish looking bore when I got it. I ran some valve lapping compound on a patch/jag through it and then fire lapped it with some loads doped up with whitening toothpaste( Really!!!!). Improved the looks of it and it shot better than this old poke can hold most times. Have put about a hundred through it since and the bore almost looks mirror like. Work with it, it may surprise you..........Buck 8) :roll:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
4 I'd Buck, Toothpaste?? Hey, I gotta remember that one... How do you prep them?

My 336CS had pitting in the bore when I got it. I have done nothing to counter the effect because, so far as I can tell the pitting has had no effect. I have tried several brands of ammo but most recently Federal in the 200gr projectile and last Saturday grouped a 1.75" 3 shot bunch @ 100 yds. This tells me that if I don't hit what I am aiming for, it's not the pitting that's creating the problem...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sidespin, It's messy, but worked for me. I worked it into the lube grooves and then seated and crimped as normal. Bore sure did smell good after that too!!!!! :lol: I was just concerned with not taking material off, just trying to shine it up/smooth it out. We ran a bore scope down it and found it was in pretty good shape except for a portion just in front of the chamber. Hasn't affected the accuracy. I use it for CAS side matches. It has won me a blue ribbon for hitting 6 out of 8 at about 135yds on a 14 or 16" gong in a little over 44 seconds timed off hand. I also hit both sighters too. At the time it was 104 years old..............Buck 8) :roll: :D

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thanks for the info, It is a unique way of lapping but heck, toothpaste is an abrasive so why not?

Thanks shotterj for getting this thread started!

SS

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sidespin I had a feeling something good would come out of it. For everyones info I cleaned it real good staring with a stainless steel bore brush and wd-40 after I worked on it and got clean patches out of it Iscrubbed it with three diffrent grades of valve grinding compound then I finished it off with J.B. compound and finally flitz after that I just scrubbed it again clean and yesterday shot it ,I didn't have a lot of time so without sight adjustments and from a prone position at 50-60 yds I shot 1 group of 5 rounds 4 were clustered in a group 1 1/2 "in dia. the fifth flyer was low [about 1 1/4 "] it was a 3" bull and I held center mass on the bull so they were hitting about 2" high at that range about 12 o'clock above the bull withthe flyer at 12 o'clock in the black not too shabby for 104 yrs. old ,huh![ the gun ,not me!] That ladder sight is great ,it goes up to 800 yds!Back then men must have beenREAL shots :roll: shootrj2003

1 - 9 of 9 Posts