Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow, Rossi is trying to capitalize big time on Marlin's QC issues, I think. Has anyone seen their 2011 new products catalog? :eek: They've got a .22LR/.22WMR Circuit Judge, a 28-ga Circuit Judge, a .44 mag Circuit Judge, a LEVER ACTION Circuit Judge :eek: , a .22LR 'EL JEFE' M92 carbine :eek: ............

http://www.rossiusa.com/catalog-request.cfm

Oh, and by the way, Taurus has some neat stuff, too...I like their 1911A1 limited edition.

http://www.taurususa.com/catalog-request.cfm

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Rossi always dwarfed Marlin as far as a variety of configurations in their 92 repro's. The Rio Grands are pretty new though. Too bad theyre not Walnut stocked, I might be able to get over the funky trigger plate if they were.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Yep,
Rossie are sure trying to make up for any lost rifles of Marlin. I do wish Marlin would bring out a 454 Casull in a 1894, I know the wrong thread pattern. Well may be in a 336, it will handle it.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I'm sorry...but that 410 circuit judge lever action is the worst looking lever gun I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
It is neat to see a 28GA clambering in this newer unconventional platform. Wonder if it will help the popularity of the 28GA?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I handled the Circuit Judge last week and it is a handy little rifle but unconventional. Not sure what I would use it for, but would be a fun little rifle to go after rabbits or squirrels. Just not sure it could handle my preferred Heavy 45 Colt loads from Buffalo Bore or Doubletap.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Leverdude said:
Rossi always dwarfed Marlin as far as a variety of configurations in their 92 repro's. The Rio Grands are pretty new though. Too bad theyre not Walnut stocked, I might be able to get over the funky trigger plate if they were.
Ken, you own a Rossi (Replica?) in a 357Magnum or in another caliber, right?

If my memory serves me right - you like it very much. I was going to look for that one thread where you wrote about it later on.

Thank you ahead of time for any information on the Rossi rifle that you like.

Take care.

Cate

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Catherine said:
Ken, you own a Rossi (Replica?) in a 357Magnum or in another caliber, right?

If my memory serves me right - you like it very much. I was going to look for that one thread where you wrote about it later on.

Thank you ahead of time for any information on the Rossi rifle that you like.

Take care.

Cate
Not Ken, but I have a Navy Arms 1892 in 357 that was built by Rossi and it's got a permanent home here. To be honest, my 44-40 would go before that 357.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i think i would like the model 92 in .22lr but i cant find any info on them :-\

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Not Ken, but I have a Navy Arms 1892 in 357 that was built by Rossi and it's got a permanent home here. To be honest, my 44-40 would go before that 357.
Hello,

Thank you for the information!

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
The Rio Grande's aren't bad looking leverguns......

I've never even picked a Rossi up.....how's the action cycle compared to a Marlin? Nice and smooth or sloppy like a Winchester?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
My 1892 action was pretty tight when new in early 2000. I've been slowly "wearing it in" and it's starting to get slick now. I'm not sure what you mean by "sloppy like a Winchester". It's a John Browning design based on his 1886 Winchester and Winchester built 1892s for years. It's got a different feel from the Winchester 94s that I've handled which is a totally different design (also Browning's). I will say that I bought it for a "working gun". I let a couple of my brother's shoot it and they went to the shop where I ordered mine and they each ordered them one, but with a case finish instead of the blue that mine has. They swear by theirs and they had always carried Marlins before.

Other than the American Walnut wood, I'm not sure what other differences there are between a Rossi made Navy Arms 1892 and the Rossi 92. Mine doesn't have the safety that the newer guns have, just the traditional half-cock. I never could get it to feed 38 Specials reliably so I only run 357 Mag in it now. But then there was no mention in the papers that came with it of it's using 38s either. Mine has a heavy 24" octagon barrel. It appears that Rossi used the same barrel blank for all calibers up to 45 and in a 357 you end up with a thick heavy barrel. Which is one reason I believe that mine is so darn accurate. I've made a 5 gallon plastic bucket dance using a magazine full of 14 Winchester Silvertip ammo at 428 paces with the factory open sights. My Marlin in 44-40 won't come close to doing that. That's why I say the 44-40 would be the first to go.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Wow, I don't know how I missed that new carbine. I'll take mine in .40 S&W please. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts