Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Rossi has finally started producing the Rio Grande chambered in 45-70. Of course I don't see them in stock anywhere near by. Both Blued and Stainless Steel. The Stainless is not much more than the blued. Lists for 673.00 I do believe.

Has anyone seen any of these live and in living color yet?

I am curious how well it is made, how it cycles, and what kind of quality to expect.

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Should be some around somewhere. They have been selling them for a year and a half or so. The few people I have talked to via the internet like them. Don't know much in the way of any details though.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gallery of guns has a nice spec sheet on their 45-70. I wasn't out searching for a Rossi anything, but happened to stumble on a Post somewhere about them making a 45-70.

There's a LGS about 30 miles from me that handles Marlin, Henry, and Rossi Lever guns. They are not showing a 45-70 in stock. This dealer does discount his firearms. It looks like a Rossi that retails for $673 would sell for about $599.00. A lot cheaper than Remlin, and it couldnt be made any worse.

Mike T.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I've looked at a few Rossi's lately....because they were there! :biggrin: I'm trying to recall if I handled one in 45-70...but...treat them like a Remlin, you can find some nice ones out there, and most styles and calibers are available, but don't buy one sight unseen OR uncycled, some are slick and put together right, while some feel like you are crushing aluminum cans every time you work the action and were assembled by Ray Charles.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
That recommendation is accurate for just about anything anymore.

Reactions: momentum

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Join Team Rossi Today! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I handle a few and even shot the 45-70 and 30-30 a friend of mine bought. Both when bought new needed some extra work and there are some web sites out there to tweak the Rossi lever actions and I help him with the tweaking since he was not to mechanically inclined. Should find all the info you need under Rossi leverguns

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
79 Posts
I owned a Rio in 45-70 in SS and it was a nice rifle. it nicely made and functioned without issues. My only issue with the rifle was its light weight and this could be an asset if you had to carry it for any real distance.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I had the chance to handle this rifle at the Great Eastern Sportsman's Show last winter in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Action was smooth and wood to metal fit was tight everywhere. The wood has a dull and non-reflective finish. I liked this rifle. They also had one in 30-30 which is a dead ringer for Marlin's 336.

Rossi makes a very good lever action for hunters. Their handguns appear well made, too.

I was also impressed by Mossberg's model 464 featuring curved lever and pistol grip stock design.

TR

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had my blued model now for over a year. The finish is nothing to write home about but it was easy enough to refinish the wood. It's accurate with either jacketed or cast.
My only real complaint is with the large loop. It's to large and gawdy for my tastes. I wish Rossi offered one that either was normal or not so large. I have thought about sending it out to have it altered to look something like the Marlins SBL lever.

·
Banned
2,146 Posts
There's a used one in excellent condition at the Cabelas near me for $529 with a Nikon 3x9 ProStaff on it. The wood grade is unremarkable and fit is adequate - about Marlington quality. I shouldered it but it didn't seem to shoulder correctly. It almost felt like the LOP was short. The butt pad hung up while trying to shoulder the rifle. (It's a really spongy pad with sharp corners and edges that snag the fabric of your shirt) The wrist felt fat too. I was intrigued by the full length mag tube on a 45-70 but then thought, "How out of balance is this thing going to be with a full tube?" I left it on the rack.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good information so far folks, thanks!

I'm not a fan of large loops either. I can understand a larger loop for winter when in need of gloves. But a loop that is TOO big could ruin a good thing.

Mike T

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
i saw a Rossi Rio Grande 45 70 for $517 blued and $548 stainless on Buds Gunshops.That is delivered.Add $30 for transfer.I have no experience with Rossi levers and don't want any.I already own too many guns!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts