Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need a quick answer to this. I have a chance to purchase tomorrow (Saturday) a Rossi Puma 44 mag. I know nothing about them. It sounds to be in good condition and he wants $350.00 for it. Does that sound good or not. Any info you guys have on this gun would be great....Thanks 100_1361_1_.jpg 100_1359_1_.jpg 100_1362_1_.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd buy it, even if the action is kinda rough, a spring job will fix it right up. I've owned the Rossi and it's not bad, especially for the price!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would snap it up. That is a good price. They are strong actions and shoot well. Buddy has one in .45 colt that is a tack driver.
The bolt mounted safety can be removed/replaced easily through various sources including a swap out for a pretty cool ghost ring.
Steves Gunz Parts

·
Registered
390 Posts
That’s a pretty fair price for one now. Those studs on the wood drop the value some unless you like them. Some of the early Rossi’s had problems but generally nothing that can not be fixed, so just look it over. They are a nice rifle and have nicer wood than the newer Rossi’s. If the action is a bit gritty that usually can be smoothed out with a little polishing. Keep in mind can not mount a regular scope on those top ejects but a scout scope works well. Also those crescent butts will flat out bruise in a 44 so plan on some sort of padding if planning on shooting it much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I am on my way to get it at 6:00am tomorrow. It's a five hour ride, one way, but should be worth it Thanks again

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I don't think the Puma version has the bolt mounted safety. IIRC that was a Braztech addition. No need for a ghost ring, this one has the tang mount aperture ... BONUS! That's a hundred dollar+ extra. The Puma should also have the 1-16 twist rate as opposed to the 1-30 of the newer Rossis.
What's not to like?

Reactions: Boroark

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am pretty sure I have a Puma 45lc with a half round barrel, it's stamped on the frame under the lever, model 92 SRC, Interarms, Alexandria VA. I had some issues getting it to feed some lead nosed bullets as well as copper hollow points i had laying around and I haven't been to the range with it yet. No external safeties, but where can I find out more on how to slick the action up and or make it reliable or at least so it will feed what I am trying to shoot? Thanks for any help and good luck with the .44. Would be nice to drop a deer with this rifle this year. Wonder how this baby handles Buffalo or Corbon ammo?

·
Registered
133 Posts
According to tests they are plenty stout. Paco Kelly, (Leverguns.com) puts some .45 colt loads through his that are right on the heels of 45/70 loads. This is not a recommendation, just an observation.

Several gunsmiths can smooth them out. This is one of them:

He also sells videos to help you do it yourself:

Steves Gunz Parts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Buy thats a great price and a sharp looking rifle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to let everyone know the guy called and said he couldn't sell to me because I did not live in his state (he in Alabama me in louisiana) I told him I would pay for the shipping to a FFL but he said no. I think someone offered him more money...Oh well I'll find another.....Thanks for all the help......

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Normally I would say not

but at the price, I would even buy it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts