Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else owned a Puma 92 in 44 Mag? I ask because that was my first of two Lever actions chambered in 44 mag with an octagon barrel. Never heard or new of someone else that has owned one. Just curious what other thought about it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Octagon barrel sounds neat---never seen one!-Started shooting SASS cowboy bout 13 years ago--got me a new Rossi 92 (round barrel 44 mag) -Stoger sxs shotgun & pair Ruger Vagueros (44 mag)---it was hard to buy 44 mag cowboy loads ---so had to buy 44 specials-had to have Rossi worked on to feed reliably----year or so later started reloading my own 44 mags-------put a lot o lead down range w/ my Rossi--NEVER had any type of malfunction----

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a Rossi Puma in 44 Mag, but its not an octagon barrel. It is an excellent rifle, it is very accurate and feeds reliably. I bought mine in1993 and its a pre safety model. Is yours a Rossi or one of the new Chiappa guns? I have had great luck with the Rossi's and I also have 16" carbine with big loop lever, and it is also a great shooter. When I save up the money I want one in .357 Mag. Ijust wish they made one in 32-20.

Gary

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've got a Navy Arms 1892 that was made by Rossi for Navy Arms in 357 Mag with a 24" octagon barrel. It's a tack driver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never heard of Chiappa guns. I googled it and all i can say is "what the hell!!" The revolvers are something out of total recall.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like all my Rossi/Pumas and have not had any negative experiences with them. My .44 Mags are the round barrel versions. They will get your attention with hot loads, but I find them more than pleasant to shoot with cowboy loads. I do have a .44-40 with the long octagonal barrel. That extra weight really tames the recoil, and octagonal barrels have so much class!

Reactions: leroy brown

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Bought a Rossi 92 earlier this year--44 mag, 20", stainless steel, round barrel. Absolutely love mine. I've seem some on the racks in one of the LGS with the octagon barrel and case colored receiver. Would like to add one to my collection, but will have to wait for finances to improve.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I got a Puma in .357 with the 24" Octagon barrel, mine is the SS version. Love it, dead on at 1oo yds. Mine wouldn't chamber the .38 spl. rounds very well when I first got it. Shortened the magazine spring and now its not a problem. Took a deer with mine its first time in the field. About 85 yds. right through the neck and that was it. Love the looks of the octagon barrel, wish ALL my lever guns were octagons. Looking to add a 45 lc to the stable when funds allow, but I would like to get in a Marlin or a Henry. :flute: But wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Rossi if the price were right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Ditto...I too had problems with this Rossi, it wouldn't feed .357 rounds but did just fine with .38 sp. I wound up sending it back to Rossi\Braztech to be "adjusted" . It took about 4-5 weeks and came back feeding both rounds just fine. I bought a new 44 carbine about 4-5 months later and it cycles the Mag rounds just fine. I haven't tried 44sp rounds only because I don't see them very often and they cost the same or more then mag ammo..Also, both of my Rossi's shoot really high when using mag ammo. I had to replace the front sight on both of them. The .357 was worse then the 44. Its not to hard to do and doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I've got one. 24" octagon barrel. Case colored receiver and butt plate. Bought it for cowboy action shooting. I did an action job on it which really smoothed it up. Great balance, it shoots 44 special like a dream, but 44 mag is painful due to the crescent butt plate. I made a leather butt sleeve/pad for it which helps a little, with about an inch of closed cell foam beneath the leather. But it's surprising to me how much recoil difference there is between shooting 44 spec and 44 mag.

Did you have any specific questions.

Sorry, no pictures. It will be a while before I accumulate enough posts to add pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts