Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 1887 12 Gauge copy but now looking at the Rossi in 410 . Over the past few years a 12 Gauge is not on the top of my list that I enjoy shooting.

I have a couple of 410's but really like the lever guns. Having noticed that Rossi makes a 410 , I wondered if anyone has had one and the good or bad about them.

I know it is not on the 92 Winchester style but is built on there Rio Grande style that looks like a Marlin copy to me.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yes. The Rossi Rio is a 336 Marlin Clone. I bought one over the winter. Tore it apart and cleaned every thing. Even did a bit of deburring. I will WARN YOU though. The loading gate area is very sharp. Took off the whole end of my finger and nail on the first shell. The inside of the reciever gate hole is sharp. Take a file to it!!
Other than that its a great gun. The scope rail came off very easily and I sanded down the wood and refinished it. Started with 300grit and ended with 600grit. Finished it with Polyurathane finish and a walnut stain. Turned out great.
She has claimed about 12 skunks in the yard so far. Havent tried slugs yet.

Hayden.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I picked up a Rossi Rio 410 in stainless about a year ago. Not an identical clone to the Marlin 336, but near enough.

I did not tear mine down to debur, but I did load the gun numerous times and cycled a 100+ rounds thru the gun to smooth out the action. The finish on the stock is a pain as it could be. You normally do not buy a new gun to immediately refinish the stock, but after reading the previous post, I like the idea of refinishing with a glossy polly coat.

I'm a custom to using a hammer spur on my lever guns. Do to the shape and size of the hammer, I have yet to find a hammer spur that properly fits the Rio. I also wanted to customize the sights, not much out there that comes pre-fit for the Rio.

Overall, I'm not all that disappointed. I wanted something a little different to carry for small game hunting in the fall. It fits the bill. Works for squirrels and rabbits with in 25 yards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I had considered one for some time, but all the ones I could find were chambered for 2-1/2" shells. Does anyone know if they even make a version with a 3" chamber? Possibility that the 3" round is too long to cycle through the action, maybe?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
No, I dont believe the Lever 410s come in a 3" chambering. You would have to go with a Judge for that. And what I have read, the 3" will jam up the lever and wont cycle well at all in the Rio.

Hayden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.