Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to handle a new one the other day in my LGS. The action was very smooth when working the lever. Bluing and wood fit looked very good. Only down side was the $599 price tag! I believe I could talk em down a bit...hmmmmmmmm?!:hmmmm:

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That price seems quite high to me. I bought stainless steel version of the same rifle last year for well over a hundred dollars less. I settled on a heavy load of 2400 under a Sierra 300 gr. SP, and man, that thing gets meat on both ends. The rifle is very light, and has a steel butt plate, and when you touch one off, you know it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LGS I saw the Rossi in is well known for being high priced. Being a small town, they're the shop with the largest inventory of guns and don't have any real competition. I recently got my 1974 made Marlin 1894 so money is tight or I'd be haggling over that 45 LC!

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The stainless one I bought (357 mag) was $575 and that store is one of the few that carry them
in stock. You can order them online for less, but then you don't get to check the
action and fit and finish.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stainless one I bought (357 mag) was $575 and that store is one of the few that carry them
in stock. You can order them online for less, but then you don't get to check the
action and fit and finish.
Agreed! I'd rather have the option of trying it first before plunking down cash.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Its worth more money if its new, in stock, and you can look it over an cycle it before you buy it. When you order something, you never know what you're going to get.

What about the ammo handling parts in the Rossi, are they any plastic parts?

MIke T.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I thought I heard about the plastic in the Rossi, but I was not sure if it was them or Mossberg. I wonder why they made that decision. It seems pretty insane to put plastic in the ammunition handling part of a rifle (or any part for that matter) only to force your customers to do a modificaiton.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I thought I heard about the plastic in the Rossi, but I was not sure if it was them or Mossberg. I wonder why they made that decision. It seems pretty insane to put plastic in the ammunition handling part of a rifle (or any part for that matter) only to force your customers to do a modificaiton.

Mike T.
Marlin has been using plastic followers since at least the year 2000. I don't like them either, but they seem to work the same.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
That's interesting. Actually I was not aware of that, wow.

I wonder if plastic might have more "give" and some of these mfg might have thought it would work better. It could be cheaper too, not sure.

Mike T.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Pete

Did you ever have any problem cycling the action before you replaced the plastic follower?

Mike T.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its worth more money if its new, in stock, and you can look it over an cycle it before you buy it. When you order something, you never know what you're going to get.

What about the ammo handling parts in the Rossi, are they any plastic parts?

MIke T.
Only the magazine follower is plastic, but most people replace them with one from the Smith Shop.
That's interesting. Actually I was not aware of that, wow.

I wonder if plastic might have more "give" and some of these mfg might have thought it would work better. It could be cheaper too, not sure.

Mike T.
I think they changed to plastic to stop metal on metal and rust in the tube.

Rossi{Brasiltech} re-tooled the plant a year or two ago the older Rossi's where like cycling sand and broken glass in the action. The new ones are better but the ejector and hammer springs is super strong and make cycling a but of a chore. I took my new one apart and stoned and smoothed out any ruff spots on the inside and changed out the springs and she runs like a top.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Just get an action job done on your Rossi and it will cycle like butter.
Well worth the cost.

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Nice lookin rifle there Pearce.
Glad to hear that the newer ones are pretty smooth, not that mine wasn't, but I bought mine used. My next Rossi will more than likely be a 44 mag. Want one of the 20" octagon barrels.

Hey, fellas we need some more members to make an official Team Rossi.

Pop up to the top of the Rossi section, an ask to join the team. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have owned 5 and non needed and action job. The latest one I bought has been the slickest of the lot and no problems with the plastic mag follower. I just wish they would use real walnut for their stocks, my only real complaint.

View attachment 112384
View attachment 112385
Then you haven't felt a really slick Rossi my was pretty good I honed off ruff spot on some parts change out the spring {that along made a huge difference}and she runs real slick now.

PS nice looking gun

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, I agree zzguy, the Rossi I bought was pretty slick right then and there but after the action job it is
quite a bit better. But if you don't compete with it then the way they come right out of the box
is pretty darn good as well.
I'm glad I had the stainless steel follower installed. The plastic ones tend to break under heavy use.
My Rossi is very accurate with factory ammo. Love shooting it.
Using the Rossi I've advanced to being an AA level shooter in NRA silhouette!
That's with the factory Buckhorn sights and shooting Rams out to 200 yards! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
For that price "$599" Get the Rossi M92 454 casull then you could use/shoot both 454 and 45lc!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.