Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a Rossi 92 in 357, would I be better off holding out for a Marlin. I have A 92 in 25-20 and I like the style of the 92. I have no experience with a Rossi, would use it for loafing in the woods and hunting. Thanks Glen

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
If your eyesight is good enough for iron sights, then a Rossi is probably okay. I have a Rossi 92 in 357.

Since my eyesight is gone, I always want to put a scope on my lever guns and Marlins 336s make that real easy when they are already tapped for scope mounts.

And since you're taking suggestions, why not get a Marlin 336 in 30-30 -- ammo is cheap and plentiful and if you ever decide to go after deer -- you'll have the gun that will do the job.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 30-30 just wanting something in a 357. And I have killed a deer with one before, traded it off. Just a handy sized gun. Don't plan on scoping it, may put a aperture sight on it. My question is one about Rossi quality. Thanks

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Have one that I bought about 25 yrs ago----shoots very well but my eyesight won't let me shoot any distance with it any more. The action was pretty stiff when I bought it but smoothed out very nicely with a bit of use! It seems to be very well made. The wood to metal fit is way above my Ruger #3 .223.

Hip

Another site has 3 articles on the Rossi. I don't remember which but after I post this I will find the site in my favorites and post it for you.

It's www.castbullets.com------Good Read !

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a Rossi lever rifle chambered for .44 mag.

I shoot it with BP loads in CAS.

No problems with accuracy. Recently came 2nd in the Lever Action Pistol Caliber side match with it. 9 hits out of 10 on steel plate at 125 meters. Missed the last shot because I became cocky, as soon as I had pulled the trigger I knew I had missed.

Action on nmy rifle has been smoothed up and is like a hot knife through butter. Back sight is a semi buckhorn. Front sight a post.

I have in one competition busted shotgun clays at 80 meters with this rifle. Shot rabbits, hares and turkeys with it also.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I have leverguns from Marlin, Rossi, Browning and Winchester. The Rossi's are the most crudely made of the bunch, but they work fine. In fact my Rossi 357 and 44 are more accurate (for me anyway) than their Browning counterparts.

If there is any possibility that you will want to add a scope, ever, get a Marlin. But if iron sights are all you plan on using, then a Rossi will suit you fine. Check with www.stevesgunz.com for an action job, or a DVD on how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
My Navy Arms 1892 was made by Rossi. Quality wise, it's almost as good as the 82 vintage 1894C I have and better than what I've seen labeled as Marlins that have come out of Ilion NY lately. It's a little stiffer than the 1894C but then it's a lot newer gun without near the usage that the Marlin has had. And using iron sights, it's more accurate than the Marlin.

The early Rossis were pretty rough. The Navy Arms is well made. I haven't seen a new Rossi in several years, so I can't say how they're doing now.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Trooper, I have both a Rossi in .357 and a Marlin 1894c. I really like the 92 action and as with any gun it needs some attention breaking the sharp edges in the action and benefits most from a reduced power ejector spring, mine shoots great and is quite accurate with most loads I have tried. The Marlin has a little different feel with the shorter barrel and more generous fore-arm wood, parts both replacement and aftermarket are infinitely more available for the Marlin and although slightly more picky than my Rossi is quite accurate. Both are good guns, enjoy!

james

·
Registered
712 Posts
Go for it. My '92 is a .45 Colt. I bought Steve's DVD and some other goodies for it, and its my constant companion in the woods on my ATV. I call it my "Wolf Wacker".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a used Marlin 357 a pre safety, wood needs refinishing but metal will clean up nicely. Thanks for your responses. Glen

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Outstanding -- now you've got Marlinitis like the rest of us. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts