Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to keep everybody informed. I got rooterpigs new 230 grain bullet out to the range, and worked up a nice load in my SG 35. I was afraid to take it any further with the high temps we have been experiencing here. I have found that 40 to 60 degrees is ideal for working up loads, and our median hunting temperature here is normally around 40 degrees. Anyway, I have a bit more room for powder and fully expect this bullet to excel when this damn hot weather goes south again!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Smoking . Man I like the looks of that bullet ! You ever think about powder coating, could possibly speed them up some ?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Question, why do all of the SG cast bullets seem to be minus a crimp groove? Are you relying on a crimp die to provide the necessary grip on the bullet as it seats on the shank and is there any difference between the two concepts?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smoking . Man I like the looks of that bullet ! You ever think about powder coating, could possibly speed them up some ?
Nope, just shoot them as is. A buddy of mine has been messing with powder coating, and other high tech bullet coatings, and according to him it is much ado about nothing. I just try to keep it simple.....alloy, Verals Soft Blue Lube, and a gas check.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question, why do all of the SG cast bullets seem to be minus a crimp groove? Are you relying on a crimp die to provide the necessary grip on the bullet as it seats on the shank and is there any difference between the two concepts?
I use Lee Crimp Dies, so I can crimp anywhere. If done correctly the Lee die creates its own crimp groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts