Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just watched one of my favorites. Been a while. Bride bought me a Blue Ray player and the Blue-Ray DVD a few years ago. Dug it out for a another view. A true classic. I seized upon the way the English language was spoken. A more civilized way of speaking. Leaving no blame, but getting one's point across in a way that should make a lawyer cringe. The Blue-Ray makes this classic even more immortal for me, an ex-lawman.

Deserves a second, and third view.

AC

OOPS! it IS "TRUE GRIT" on the DVD cover.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Great movie. It was on the other night but I didn’t have time to watch.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was raised on John Wayne, he was my father’s “guy”!

So, as you could guess, some of both, rubbed off on me.

·
Premium Member
14,115 Posts
The Duke will live on forever.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just watched one of my favorites. Been a while. Bride bought me a Blue Ray player and the Blue-Ray DVD a few years ago. Dug it out for a another view. A true classic. I seized upon the way the English language was spoken. A more civilized way of speaking. Leaving no blame, but getting one's point across in a way that should make a lawyer cringe. The Blue-Ray makes this classic even more immortal for me, an ex-lawman.

Deserves a second, and third view.

AC
Another one you never hear about is "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" with Katherine Hepburn. That Cogburn character is classic!!
I'm a bit confused. Gunscrewguy, are you talking about "True Grit" where the Duke won his Oscar, or "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" when he co-starred with Katharine Hepburn?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some confusion here. The film Rooster Cogburn , the sequel to True Grit, was also known as Rooster Cogburn (and the Lady) - same film. As TnC stated, the Duke won an Oscar for his work in True Grit.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Great movie.
I also enjoy John Wayne’s 2 appearances on the Dean Martin show.You can watch them on YouTube.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
996 Posts
Some confusion here. The film Rooster Cogburn , the sequel to True Grit, was also known as Rooster Cogburn (and the Lady) - same film. As TnC stated, the Duke won an Oscar for his work in True Grit.

Sorry thought that was the film you were talking about.:hmmmm:
It was on TV over here during Xmas so it was on my mind. Kathrine Hepburn played a great part in the follow up though.

The remake film featuring Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn was the one I wasn't keen on.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Loved the banter "betwixt Rooster & Miss Goodnight, & between both & "The Judge"! Many clever & classic lines spoken in that film. Rooster could show a lot of emotion with that one "good eye" too. Two of America's films at their very best right there!

Sister (Mattie) & the horse trader's scenes (Stonehill player by Strother Martin) were also clever and of strong character. Strother, as the ferry boat owner in Rooster Cogborn (Rueben) was fantastic. "I like myself better'n anybody I know! It's people I don't like!" I always back that part up and watch it a few times over.

Two truly classic movies I own, but still never miss when they pop up on the TV screen. John Wayne was a hero of the times to be looked up to. I went to sleep watching Sands of Iwa Jima just last night. A "Man's Man" like no other in the day, or in the day's since. A Character with "Character" for sure. May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Sister (Mattie) & the horse trader's scenes (Stonehill player by Strother Martin) were also clever and of strong character. Strother, as the ferry boat owner in Rooster Cogborn (Rueben) was fantastic. "I like myself better'n anybody I know! It's people I don't like!" I always back that part up and watch it a few times over.
Check Strother Martins Wikipedia. He is an interesting guy. Nearly made the Olympics as a swim/dive guy. Got better with age for sure.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse with bringing up "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady", I just really liked that movie too. "A man doesn't mind if a woman outshoots him......as long as they're quite about it!"

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I was raised on John Wayne, he was my father’s “guy”!

So, as you could guess, some of both, rubbed off on me.
You know those old western movies taught a lot of common sense and values to young kids. Also taught you to be independent and do what is right. There is a little bit of cowboy in everyone. Except now in the "Progressive Liberal World"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts