Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live over on the dry side of Washington (yes, there is such a place) but just spent 5 days on a mini-vacation out on the Olympic Peninsula. Did a little fishing, and kept running across elk! Had to wait for this herd to cross the road so I could fish just outside of Forks, WA. Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also caught a glimpse of this cow elk browsing along a hiking trail in the Hoh rainforest. For those who don't know, the Hoh rainforest is one heck of a wet and beautiful place with world class winter steelhead fishing. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
The elk of Washington are prolific. Did you see the statistics for the "Early Hunt", just East of Issaquah, WA, on I 90: elk - one; Human - four. Please, watch out for game on the highway! This was indeed a tragic event. :shock

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I've had a number of close calls with elk! Unfortunately most have been in vehicles, and not anywhere near elk season! While dirt biking on the Oregon Coastal range, I came around a corner and found myself right in the middle of a herd of about 40 elk! :eek: I stopped my motorcycle with 3-4 elk within 10 ft of me! They looked a bit surprised, but no more than myself! The elk that were the most nervous were the ones on the outer edges. Those closest to me seemed perplexed at what they should do. They slowly, and cautiously moved away, as I sat straddle my bike and watched. My riding partner came around the corner a few minutes later, just in time to see them walking around me!
It was one of the most memorable encounters with wildlife I have ever had! We both were speechless for several minutes after the elk had gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts