Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the Lee FCD and would like to find a roll crimp I can use. I use a Dillon 550B and want to use seperate seater and crimp dies. The RCBS Cowboy die states that it seats and roll crimps in one operation. I use a CH4D sizer and seater currently. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
45/70 Crimping

Hey NoImpact,

I also use the 550B, to load all my rifle ammo. I use the Redding Profile Crimp Die (since '85), and am very satisfied.

Can load either cast or jacketed bullets (need to "back off" the RPCD a bit, for jacketed)

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, I have CH4D taper crimp but figure it's for jacketed. I 'll check out the profile one. I forgot to mention that I'll be reloading lead bullets.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Redding Profile Crimp Die

Hey NoImpact,

Like the Redding Profile Crimp Die so well, got one for the 38-55.

On the 45/70 Tool Head, I have the CH4D TiN coated sizing die, Dillon Powder funnel/measure, RCBS Seating Die, and the Redding Profile Crimp Die.

I use mostly cast bullets, on occasion, will load a few jacketed bullets for BIL (am slowly converting him to cast bullet capers) LOL. (found the pic):hmmmm:

On the 38-55 Tool Head, am using the RCBS Cow Boy Sizing, and Seating Dies. A slightly modified Dillon powder funnel (so as to use .380" and .381" bullets), and the Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like fun, I also purchased the tin coated one poblably related to one of your posts. Just placed the Midway order for the profile crimp. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Purchased an extra flat seater plug for the CH4D and it works just fine. Nice folks to deal with.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey NoImpact,

LOL! What I have found with the 45/70 TiN coated sizing die....is that the cases no longer "stretch"! (with the "light" loadings)

Also, since I have elbow "problems", have found the handle "effort" to be significantly "reduced".

Even had an ambidextrous "toggle" made for the 550. That way, when prepping a couple of thousand rounds of brass (have "prep" tool heads for the 30-06 and 22-250 AI), am able to work the handle left handed. Really "saves" the elbow. (have the Dillon Power Trimmer for the '06 and 22-250 AI, no chamfering required. Not for everyone, but at one time, two of my sons shot Service Rifle with me. We sure did go through ammo ......LOL) Yes, made them pull the "handle". Even make them bring their own components, when they come to visit. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you have it down pat. I'd be interested in learning what the toggle is. I currently deprime on the machine then manually trim, debur, clean and uniform the primer pocket. Not so bad until I do 1k or so. I try to spead it out. I thought about getting the optional aluminum roller handle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick question, you stated you like loading light, do you forsee any problems loading heavy with the profile crimp?

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Quick question, you stated you like loading light, do you forsee any problems loading heavy with the profile crimp?
Hey No Impact,

No problem with heavy, or light loads, using the RPCD. (if you change bullets, you may/may not need to adjust die to suit. Some cast bullets have "different" crimp grooves, and jacketed bullets do not need as "much" crimp, as do cast)

The "toggle", is the item at the bottom of the ram, that the handle bolts on to.

Later, Mark

Reactions: NoImpactNoIdea

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my delivery today. I only loaded up 7 rounds to get it adjusted. I'll load up some more later when I'm able. A little under the weather right now. I sure felt better loading ammo though.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey No Impact,

That is a swell looking gas check bullet! Should work really well!

Later, Mark

Reactions: NoImpactNoIdea

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The CastPerformance bullets I've used have been very good. One of the most accurate loads I've cooked up has been with a 420 grain CP bullet, with H4198 and going about 1650 fps.

msharley, a question for you. I use the Lee FCD a lot, but have bought a RPCD for the .45-70, preferring it for the cast bullet loads due to how it crimps, that being a true roll crimp, and with the groove design on the bullet I mainly use, it is a better choice. Now, my question is, how critical have you found uniform length of the case to be? The Lee is very forgiving, and I assumed the Redding die not so much, so I trimmed the cases to a uniform length (within .001"), but how far can you get from that?

NINI, hope you get to feeling better.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
The CastPerformance bullets I've used have been very good. One of the most accurate loads I've cooked up has been with a 420 grain CP bullet, with H4198 and going about 1650 fps.

msharley, a question for you. I use the Lee FCD a lot, but have bought a RPCD for the .45-70, preferring it for the cast bullet loads due to how it crimps, that being a true roll crimp, and with the groove design on the bullet I mainly use, it is a better choice. Now, my question is, how critical have you found uniform length of the case to be? The Lee is very forgiving, and I assumed the Redding die not so much, so I trimmed the cases to a uniform length (within .001"), but how far can you get from that?

NINI, hope you get to feeling better.
Hey Vic,

The Redding Profile Crimp Die is not real "fussy". Plus or minus a couple of thousandths, and you are "golden".

The main reason I trim all of my rifle brass, is so as to obtain a "uniform" crimp.

The Lee Collet Crimp Die does excellent work on jacketed bullets. And is currently handling the crimping chores on my 30-06 ammo. (wore my old H'Day "Stab Crimp" Die out) LOL

In the 45/70, what I ran into, was my rifle likes .460" bullets. Which the Lee FCD promptly "sizes" to .4585", with the attendant loss of accuracy. (if one only loads jacketed bullets, no problem)

The Redding Profile Crimp Die does not "size" cast bullets. (have pulled several dummy rounds, just to check)

Hope this helps. (have been using the RPCD, on the 45/70 since '85, on both cast and jacketed bullets, with good success. With "full snort" ammo, trim about every second or third firing)

Later, Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts