Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these in size 13 and they fit perfect with two pairs of woolen socks. I spent an entire day hunting in snow and single digit temps but my feet stayed dry and warm. Thanks ROCKY!!

TR

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Bought a pair of Red Head( I think ) Bass Pro brand anyway rubber boots something I never thought I would do,anyway these things are awesome warm and bone dry.
Some one told me Rocky makes them for BPS...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good for you. I had worse luck with the Rocky boots I bought about 12 years back. Hunted in them for 6 hours the first day of elk season and arrived back at camp wearing the uppers and the gortex sock. The molded sole had crumbled away. Rocky replaced them but I never trust them again so I donated them to a Pheasants Forever auction. Hopefully they have solved such problems.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I've had a pair of 600gram Rocky leather boots for about 5or6 years. They're the only pair of Rocky's I've had I really liked. They aren't very waterproof anymore, but they are still warm and comfy. For my money though, for cold weather hunts you can't beat the Muck Arctic Pro's. best boots I've ever had, but don't wear heavy socks in em, just a pair of cotton socks and you'll stay warm, don't make sense but that's the way it is. I wear a pair of the Muck Arctic Sports everyday for work and love them too.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I second the Muck's. They are amazingly comfortable to. Best rubber boots out there

·
Registered
700 Posts
leverdoug, I have no knowledge of the muck boots but a good insulated rubber boot works great in PA. I know because when the first "Thermo" boots appeared on the hunting market about 1956 or so I was a kid hunting in PA a lot. Prior to that the best combination was Bean boots with felt packs and heavy wool socks. I do have knowledge of wearing cotton socks out of doors in any climate - DON'T! Cotton absorbs moisture and then stays wet. As undergarments cotton can be deadly through hypothermia. Wet cotton is also a great way to promote blisters. Thin merino wool socks are now commonly available and there is no better sock on all counts. If you have never tried them you owe it to your self. But leave your cotton indoors. Best long underwear out there now is also Merino Wool. It isn't scratchy at all, silky soft and even wet it insulates. (But pricey!). I have worn wool socks in the actic climate, tropical rain forests and deserts of the Southwest. Works everywhere. Thanks for the tip about Mucks. Have to try them next Whitetail hunt in PA.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
leverdoug, I have no knowledge of the muck boots but a good insulated rubber boot works great in PA. I know because when the first "Thermo" boots appeared on the hunting market about 1956 or so I was a kid hunting in PA a lot. Prior to that the best combination was Bean boots with felt packs and heavy wool socks. I do have knowledge of wearing cotton socks out of doors in any climate - DON'T! Cotton absorbs moisture and then stays wet. As undergarments cotton can be deadly through hypothermia. Wet cotton is also a great way to promote blisters. Thin merino wool socks are now commonly available and there is no better sock on all counts. If you have never tried them you owe it to your self. But leave your cotton indoors. Best long underwear out there now is also Merino Wool. It isn't scratchy at all, silky soft and even wet it insulates. (But pricey!). I have worn wool socks in the actic climate, tropical rain forests and deserts of the Southwest. Works everywhere. Thanks for the tip about Mucks. Have to try them next Whitetail hunt in PA.
These are the Muck arctic pro's.

Footwear Work boots Boot Shoe Rain boot

Trust me, I know how bad cotton is in cold weather. I work outside all winter (trimming cattle hooves on various farms) and you won't find cotton on me unless its my Carhartt outer sweatshirt and that's only if its dry out, otherwise I've got a waterproof jacket in. But I've been wearin Muck boots for about 8yrs now everyday in the winter and the best way to keep your feet warm is cotton socks or thin polyester socks. The boots have an "air mesh lining" inside the neoprene that pulls moisture and circulates air through them and heavy socks of wool or other synthetics seem to make your feet sweat to much for this system to handle or something. Like I said, it don't make sense, but that's how it is. But if you try a pair you won't be disappointed, great support, easy on and off, comfortable, and warm.

Don't mean to hijack this thread. Back to the Rocky boots! :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.