Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of the country thread that has descended a few pages back, how about a rock/metal thread? No hipster skinny jeans wearing, the caged elephants stuff either. I'm talking about music by men, for men; the music our mothers warned us about. The music that makes you want to run the streets at night or punch people in the face. :biggrin: I'll start off... can't go wrong with snaggle tooth.

It'd be a shame if I didn't post Ronnie in the first post either... R.I.P.

Ok, don't let this thing die!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Funny how societies taste of music changes, and how we interpret the genre.

What passes for country now, would have been "rock" 40 years or more in the past. I picked up a CD by "The Byrds" in the 7 dollar bin at Wallys the other day. Considered "rock" in their day, it sounds more country, than country has sounded for some years now.

And 'Mumford and Sons", sounds a whole lot like Dylan.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Funny how societies taste of music changes, and how we interpret the genre.

What passes for country now, would have been "rock" 40 years or more in the past. I picked up a CD by "The Byrds" in the 7 dollar bin at Wallys the other day. Considered "rock" in their day, it sounds more country, than country has sounded for some years now.

And 'Mumford and Sons", sounds a whole lot like Dylan.
Starting in the late 1960s--some groups like The Byrds, The Band--even Rick Nelson started experimenting with fusing Rock with contemporary Country of the era. That beginning eventually led to the Eagles and other like minded musical groups. Some musicians were looking for a way to break away from the Psychedelic rock of the late 1960s. They succeeded very well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well this old long hair 80s child its jackyl
priest. saxon.the rods. all heavy all the time no bubble gum here. Can't hear sh## but oh is it fun.

Reactions: Richard M.

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
13,267 Posts
I started out listening to these bands:

About that time these guys started flooding the US with their music:

I still feel that Ronny James Dio is one of the most talented singers ever:

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
I think the best voices of the 80's was Don Dokken and Geoff Tate. Ronnie was not bad but he did not have the vocals these two did.

James

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ok here's my fave band of all time the likes of Slayer and Metallica used to warm up for these guy's
i give you the undisputed gods of black metal the mighty VENOM

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
So glad to see some Maiden fans here!

Type-O Negative, for your perusal, Ladies and Gentleman:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Oh, and the 80's weren't all that bad at all :)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts