Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site & actually new to all this gun stuff. I have never been a hunter. I have always loved the outdoors & I love to Bass Fish & I can stay warm even when it's way cold outside, but I tried Hunting Deer in the cold & liked to froze to death. Out on the water I could get in the sun & in the mountains I could not. I think that was the reason. Well anyway I love to eat venison & I have a cousin that keeps me supplied. I am trying to learn as much about guns as I can just mainly for protecting what belongs to me & to protect my lovely wife of 42 years. I have a question about this Marlin model 336 30-30 that I bought at an online auction, the gun is in pretty good shape I look with a light & see the groove of the barrel & it looks real good to me & clean. My question is I have seen many post about serial numbers & where the rifle's were made & I am confused All the post say that they are made in New Haven Conn. My Marlin says it was made in North Haven Conn. & the serial # starts with a 27 does this mean it is was made in 1973 . I also saw a post that said that a gold trigger was made in 1974. Can anyone clear this up for me.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana. If you have trouble with cold you should come up here or further north. In the winter we walk to our fishing spots, takes too long to saw a hole for the boat:biggrin: You will get a link to where to check on age or just explore the forum and you will find it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Welcome RobertY, from the banks of the "Mighty Mis'sipi"! Yes that would be a '73. And all my Marlins were made in North Haven. I can't speak to whether or not there was a name change for the town but there are others here that can I'm sure.

Mop

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

Reactions: RobertY

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Sound like you have fine rifle there. It's hard to stay warm on the lakes around here in the winter because they're frozen.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I am from New Haven ,Ct.My pops worked at the Marlin factory on 85 Willow st,New Haven Ct before I was born in the 50's.They closed and moved to North haven in 1968.The New haven Building remains.Mostly office space.Still ,a cool looking old factory bldg. Building Property Architecture Town Neighbourhood

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy that 30-30...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome Robert, I can't stand the cold either but I still try:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.