Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened about 8 years ago now---about 3 weeks after Mister had had a quad bi-pass heart surgery--mid July. He went back to work on light duty {at the shop we bought in partnership with the Bank last summer} - he's a mechanic so light duty meant--whatever he tried to convince me he was'nt doing--LOL

Anyway--I worked midnights then--I had just dosed off to sleep --- {a not so simple task for me to start with}---The phone startled me outta bed --it was Mister all excited and outta breath--I paniced--"""WHAT"S WRONG??? WHERE ARE YOU???"""-- he said excitedly--""The biggest doe I ever saw in my life just got killed about 3/4 of a mile from the house-- you gotta go get it!!!""""--- -- {{Now remember--I was startled awake-- then paniced hearing his voice so excited and breathless}}----"""You woke me up and scared the Bajeezus Outta me for a #$%^& deer???!!!---WHAT--DO you expect me to do with it??!!!"""---Okay his answer was totally unfair--TRUE--but still totally unfair warfare--""GO GIT IT!!!''--"We need the meat & the guy that hit doesn't want it."" --- "What do want me to do with it Mister? -- I've never gutted a deer in my life!!!""--He said laughing---"Now's a Good Time to learn missy--you watched your Dad enough--you'll be okay---I can't lift it-- and we're tight for cash right now-- WE NEED THAT MEAT."" ""ALRIGHT-ALRIGHT-ALRIGHT"", I said.---I really hate it when he's right--well not always--just when I'm ornary to begin with--LOL--Soooo I got up--got dressed--grabbed my Case hunting Knife that my Dad gave for my B-day when I was 15--that I had used to gut and skin plenty of squirrels and rabbits, etc., but never a deer--YET.---Mister couldn't meet me down to where the doe was-s0oo I woke his sister up next door {{{Blind Justice}}} and made her go along--she protested all the way-- "" I AM NOT touching that deer--I don't care what you say--I'm NOT getting blood on me.""--""Okay", I said-"You don't have to touch it.""--Now kneeling by the doe trying to get my brain working to remember what Dad told me I had to do---I slit her throat and commenced to gutting-- what was also the biggest doe I had ever seen in my life as well.--" Here Gladys--hold her leg up outta my way-please.'--Before she realized it-- Gladys was touching the doe and mesmerized by the mess I was getting into-- all she could do--was what she was asked to do--LOL--but I never made her get bloody.

Okay-- now I'm covered in blood up to my elbows -- the task is done --the inside of that doe couldn't have been any cleaner if it'd been done hanging in a slaughter house.

NOOOW--We had to load her in the back of my truck-- --I lifted and moved humans around that weighed 180-250 pounds as part of my job--it took everything I had to get the front half of that Ole girl up in the back of my truck!!!-- 10 cars went by--all Men-- all laughing hysterically and NOT one would stop to help load that doe.

Finally afer a half an hour of wrestling with the doe--our neighbor was driving by in his tractor on his way to the fields to plow--he was laughing too-- but he stopped and with hardly any effort-- he had that doe up in the truck-- and was back on his way in less than 3 minutes. ---Now we're off to town to get a permit-- it turned out that it was the same officer that wrote the accident report on the doe for the poor guy that lost his chevette to it--here I am covered in blood-- Gladys won't get outta the truck-- the Officer studied that doe and grinned fromm ear to ear when I walked around where he had full view of the mess I was--He said Girl-- That's nicest job of gutting a deer I have ever seen--gave me a permit and was on his way, and we were off to the processor---That doe dressed out to 198#'s--I would have sworn she was much more-- but she was HUGE no question about that.

We had some awful good vension that lasted us through till Spring--and that was with sharing her with Gladys and my Dad and 2 sisters & our neighbor Jimmy--that loaded her--{{{I found out 2 days later-- Jimmy got on his cell phone after loading the doe for us and told Mister--""Your wife looks like she was involved in The Texas chainsaw massacre--but By Gollie--she can gut a deer.""---LOL}}}--All 4 legs were busted up bad but 99.9% of the meat was undamaged. God Is Great!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
That was a great story CJ. ;)
Mmmmmm venison, and hey I would have stopped to help Þ

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nurve!!!!--Thank You--LOL-- I know ya' woulda' helped Buddy--- {{{HUGS}}}

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You didn't have any when I was at you place CJ.. LOL..

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL-- Welll--I have somethin' better for you Buddy--get up here-- there's Elk to be grilled. :wink:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Big Bucks get all the attention from hunters, but the eating qualities of a big doe are not to be missed! Heads up for all you guys hunting on an any deer or doe permit- well worth the effort! I'd ruther eat doe than a tough stringy old buck anyday!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
363 Posts
good story c/j!

maybe i will get to witness that image first hand at the 2004 shawnee squirrel massacre! lol!

luck!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D Thank You Squacks-----I sure hope I get to hang something besides decoys from that pole this year---LOL-- :wink:

G

·
CALAMITY JANE. For a real treat take the steaks and perferate with a fork over and over on both sides. Put in a zip lock bag and put in plenty of terriaki sauce. Shake it around to make sure it's all coated, then put in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally to thoroughly marinate the meat. I like the marinade to soak at least 10 or 12 hours, the longer the better. About 5 hours or so before grilling I dump most of the marinade off and sprinke on meat tenderizer, unseasoned, on both sides and put back in the frige til it's time for the grill. I do it the old fashioned way, CHARCOAL. I put green sassafrass on the charcoal just before the meat hits the grill. Usually 5-6 minutes on each side, I don't like overcooked meat. Almost forgot, just before it hits the grill I sprinkle on garlic powder and some mccormicks montreal steak seasoning. Mighty good. POWDERMAN.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts