Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woooo-Whoooo, finally found a pound of RL-7. Off to the range tomorrow to generate some MT brass so I can load the holy grail of Triple-4 powders.:biggrin:

BB

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Congrats! Where did you find it?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! Where did you find it?
The only gunshop in Norton, Ohio, Norton's Sporting Goods, $25/lb plus tax. They also sell fish bait and jerky so they have it all covered. There were 3 or 4 pounds on the shelf but I only took one, trying to curb my hoarding ways a bit.:biggrin:

BB

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Just a word of caution to all (although most here know the difference).........There are two powders that use the designation "7"................Accurate No.7 (a fast burning pistol powder), and of course Alliant Reloader-7 the rifle powder that we use in our 444's..................A while back a member got the two mixed up and blew up a 444 with a full case load of the pistol powder.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
The only gunshop in Norton, Ohio, Norton's Sporting Goods, $25/lb plus tax. They also sell fish bait and jerky so they have it all covered. There were 3 or 4 pounds on the shelf but I only took one, trying to curb my hoarding ways a bit.:biggrin:

BB
This stuff is very hard to find, and I would buy all I can!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Went to a local gunsmith to have him smooth out the action on my 444. He works out of a outbuilding on his farm. Little place, only the locals know about it. Anyway, saw some reloading supplies on a wall. He had 2 boxes of sierra and swift 300gr., red dot and RL-7. I couldn't believe it. Went home with both the 300gr. bullets, 1 lb. of red dot and RL-7. Thinking of going back and buying out the
RL-7. Can't find that stuff anywhere.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This stuff is very hard to find, and I would buy all I can!
Maybe I will start collecting RL7. Then if/when I go to Columbia, SC to visit my sister I might be able to find someone who can use it.

BB

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
must of been 9 or 10 months ago, i got rel7 and h 4198 for loading the 20 vartarg. then i decided to go with the 444(still waiting), i can't find any. i'm down to 1 lb of rel7 and 3lbs of h4198. i think theres a lb of h332 left, i shoot for my 30-30.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I just had a bunch of RL powders come through the warehouse this last week. RL7 was one of em, 4 cases, 40# along with 15, 17 19, 22, and 25. Some Unique, Blue Dot and tight group as well. Maybe things are getting caught up. DP

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AAAAAaaaaaggggggghhhhh! RAIN! Now I have to wait until next week to generate some MT 444M brass. The farmers around me really needed the rain so I guess I shouldn't complain.

BB

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
That Re-7 was good stuff in my .444 - - especially for the heavier cast loads I was working up. Finished doing the load work, but ran out of the Re-7 and haven't seen any since.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Reloader 7 is apparently made from "unobtainium" because I haven't seen any on the shelves around here since 2012.

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
RL-7 is my go to powder for my .375 Winchester. A local shop has had it pretty regularly in the $25 price range.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Our local gun shop has its annual 20% off sale this weekend,
I droped in today to see if they had any RL-7 or H322 and guess what, nuthin.
the only 44cal bullits were FTXs and 240gn XTPs, no other brands at all.
Sure wish you lot would finish stockin up so the rest of the world can get stuff.:biggrin:

GUS

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crud, I don't want to waste my pound of RL7 so I can't make myself open it.:( I don't feel right using this stuff in my many times fired R-P brass but I can't make myself break the seal on my bag of virgin 444M R-P brass. Then if I do open the container and prep my new brass, what bullet and primer to use? To dang many decisions. Maybe I will just put the brass and powder in a nice display case and post pictures on line to generate component envy.:flute:

BB

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
You can't waste Reloader#7 in a 444, any other cartridge, yes, but not a 444!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts