Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Squirrel Hunters:

I've used my rimfires to collect a few squirrels in the past - grays and reds. In fact, I hope to thin out a scurry of reds in the next few days with the 880SQ and 60SS. I'm even going to try and eat the reds.

With that being said I would like to try fox squirrels. Can you shooters tell me the closest, and then the best location to hunt them? I live in upstate New York - north central Herkimer County and would like to hunt them.
I'm told that we have fox squirrels in southern and south western New York but I don't know that to be true. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks loads gang.

GOOD SHOOTING! :) Range Finder

·
Registered
688 Posts
Fox squirrels are preferred dining to the grays and we have few reds indeed down here.

I wish I could tell you where to go. My father's family was from Schoharie county but we've been in VA so long it is like visiting the old country.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YOU DONT EAT SQUIRREL?!?!!!Thats the best meat you can get!!!!Fry it up like chicken in bacon grease and you'll have the best meal you've ever had....Dont forget the mashed potatoes,,,gravy,,,,poke salad and broccoli...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not an expert in a squirrel's diet but still I can't see that of a Fox squirrel being that different. I'm sure they are held up in some places though. Having said that I have hunted Cayuga, Onondoga, Maddison, Cortland, Tompkins, Tioga, Broome, Oswego, Clinton, & Wayne counties, and never seen a Fox squirrel yet.

·
Registered
489 Posts
coyote killer said:
....Fry it up like chicken in bacon grease and you'll have the best meal you've ever had....
That's a pure and simple fact. Now I'm hungry! Please pass me the squirrel gravey and a couple of biscuits.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here in NC, fox squirrels tend to hole up in older stands of hardwoods than do the greys or reds. Most fox squirrel dens I have seen have almost always been in a hollow tree rather than a nest in the treetops. They are not nearly as plentiful as greys or reds here in the area I hunt most frequently. I've killed several over the years but not a lot. They are delicious but not that much different tasting to me than a grey or red. They are a lot bigger though and the meat has a heavier texture to it than greys or reds.

I have seen them take large whole ears of corn from the field and sit on their haunches and shuck and eat it all. Some of the ones I've killed probably weighed as much as 3 or 4 pounds. I've never weighed them on a scale though. To target fox squirrels alone, at least in my hunting area would be quite a challenge. They are hard to find here to say the least. But exciting when you do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys:

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate them. I have eaten many a gray squirrel in my younger days home on the farm. Squirrel stew and squirrel pies my grandmother use to make were really great. I'm not sure but I do believe that we ate some of the red squirrels as well.

I kill many red squirrels here each year and I've found that the forest I own are infested with them and I'm going to start going after them again in earnest. Hate to waste any eatable meat. Here in New York the reds are not protected so I kill them year round. I suppose you could eat them as well year around.

My interest in fox squirrels actually was ignited on the Marlin Rimfire Forum. I didn't really expect them to taste any better than the grays but from what I've read they can be nearly twice the size of grays. Plus I've never taken them so I thought it might be exciting hunting them.

Actually, the squirrels I shoot right here maybe the only hunting I get for a few months as I need to have my right hip replaced. What a bummer! I couldn't hunt deer for the last three weeks of the season. Fortunately, my son shot a little buck so at least I'll get some meat. Been a bad two years guys. Knee surgery, then a sprained ACL - same knee and 11 weeks of my sick time. Continuous back problems and now this. Ahh, the "Golden Years", and I'm just beginning. Thanks again guys.

GOOD SHOOTING! :) Range Finder

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting thing about these Fox Squirrels. I'm 46 yrs old and have seen a few in my life. Most recently about 4 yrs ago. My father used to kill them regularly when he was a kid in Mississippi. I just did a little research and found out some interesting facts. These squirrels used to be indigenous to the whole of the Eastern U.S. and out into the states bordering the western side of the Mississippi river. The tended to prefer the open savannah flats of long leaf pines and old growth hardwoods. Logging and prevention of natural forest fires have greatly diminished the long leaf pine forests. Logging and land development have affected the old growth hardwood forests. Where the grey squirrel has thrived in manmade environments (subdivisions, parks etc) the Fox squirrel has suffered significant decline to the point of certain subspecies landing on the endangered species list. The Delmarva Fox squirrel and being one. The Bachman's Fox Squirrel here in Louisiana is becoming hard to find. You don't hear much about it because they are not a glamor species such as whitetail deer. If the same thing happened to deer you could bet the farm the outcry from hunters would be loud and continuous until the situation was fixed. I'd say if you like small game hunting as much as I do and believe we should do some thing about the decline of our sport and quarry, the only recourse is to form a group such as the ones for ducks, deer etc.

G

·
I have seen the Delmarva version on the eastern shore for years. But this year was the first time I saw one in central Va. I'm gonna see if I can take one with my 1892 in 32 Long Colt .

·
Registered
60 Posts
We got some nice fat ones where I hunt here in East Tx. Gonna try to get some after deer seasons over. I've never had squirrel, but I can't wait to try. Mom says my great-grandma was known for her squirrel dumplings. I hope somebody knows her recipe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ummmmmm......here in Kansas a fox squirrel and a red squirrel are the same thing.......they eat good too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do like them in dumplings. Cook them just like you would chicken. Real nice on a cold winter day. Not too many squirrels out right now. Been 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. Think they are alot like us, don't like wadeing through the snow either. Need to wait for the sun to come out and they are sunning themself on a limb before they come out again. Been doing alot of rabbit lately. Hunt what you can when you can.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ScoutSniper23:

Would you mind recommending an exact location, state land etc. where someone would have a good opportunity to harvest a few fox squirrels?

I'm not sure when but I'd like to give them a try. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Range Finder

G

·
Well deer season is now OVER in the Old Dominion , and now a certain fox squirrel may be in trouble :D Just one with the 32 Long Colt will be plenty . Then I can work on the grey's with cast loads in some other lever actions :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
fox squirrel habitat

Here in southern WV fox squirrels prefer scattered walnut trees in bottom land but can be found around edges of cornfields very often. Fox squirrels get farther from the protection of trees than grays and spend more time on the ground, so are more in danger from dogs, coyotes. Also we always called fox squirrels red squirrels so they are one and the same to me. Red squirrel? Could that be what we call a fairy-diddle? small body, white belly, red back, large hind feet with huge claws and super fast running up a tree?

·
Registered
413 Posts
One thing some body did mention was corn. When I was a kid in South Dakota they were my "Big Game". They made daily runs to and from the corn crib in all but the worst weather. Look for trees w/ a few cobs underneath or trees at the edge of this years cornfields. Buy the way, they get pretty good size when they are corn fed. My folks moved into town a few years back and they have a couple in the back yard that are big enough to scare the cat! Lots of bird feeders to raid. Those town squirels love sunflowers and peanuts. I had some luck calling them with an old herters modell 99 sq. call. Best time was Jan-Feb. Im limited to Grey's where I live- they are quicker and harder to hit for that reason but I really miss the big foxes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts