Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun is a model 74 Winchester. While it's not a Marlin, I think this story provides a valuable lesson about pre-conceived notions. Just recently I replaced the firing pin on this, my boyhood gun. I probably hadn't shot it in about 25 years. I remember it being pretty accurate (but I remember a lot of things different than they probably were). This gun is currently averaging sub 1.5" 5 shot groups at 50 yards; and a few sub 1" groups at 50 yards. This is with the factory iron sights and cheap bulk ammo. So here's a 70 year old gun with a buldge in the barrel that will out shoot many new production guns. I didn't even know I could shoot that well with iron sights. Needless to say, it was a pleasant surprise. ;D

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Jayhawk; life is full of unexpected surprises. Some come when least expected. Congrats on a fine shooting rimfire. They sure are fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Win model 74 will do the same with the original open sights. In deference to aging eyes, and because it was so accurate, I put a scope on it. When I first shot it again in the 1990s I couldn't see the sights, hence the scope. My grandfather bought it in 1946 or 47 for $39, and I learned to shoot with it when I was 10 and 11 and living with him and my grandmother in Florida for the summer. It's a good old gun, mostly retired now.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts