Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this the proper place to ask however..
I know some .22 LR bullets seem harder than others, usually going along brand lines. For instance, I seem to be able to score WW bullets with my fingernail, while others this is not so easily done, however, my fingernails could be lying. ;) :D
Is there a listing of hardness of the various types & brands or has somebody here actually tested the hardness of the various .22 rimfire bullets ? If so, can you give a comparative rundown ?
I am looking for soft subsonic hollowpoints for close in work...around a cemetery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
IG, the people there are already dead. why are you gonna shoot'em again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't think he's gonna shoot 'em again - I think he just doesn't wanna disturb 'em! :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
w5cds said:
I don't think he's gonna shoot 'em again - I think he just doesn't wanna disturb 'em! :eek:
I have noticed that people in cemeterys tend to speak in hushed tones.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What are you shooting at around a cemetery? Skunks, squirrels, groundhogs? Not a good place for plinking due to possible ricochets off the stones.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
CB shorts are the best for quiet and up close and personal on small critters.. ..
I would probably opt for a co2 pistol to carry ..

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Three suggestions, if it is otherwise safe and legal to shoot there, with no close dwellings or chance of damaging anything:

CCI subsonic.....the hollowpoint opens up at right angles to the bullet and has a wide expanded diameter.

Winchester subsonic.....expands at very low speeds, but the hollowpoint tends to fold back closely along the side of the bullet.

Eley subsonic....good hollowpoint, good accuracy.

Average velocity of these type of rounds is 1050 fps.

Sorry, can't recommend the Remington subsonic HP. Poor quality control and misfires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Winchester makes a truncated cone hollow point that is subsonic. It is very quiet and sounds like it packs a punch when it hits. I have not shot any critters yet but the 39 golden is ready and waiting. The bullet is very soft. But it will ricochet easier than the high velocity rounds. I doubt your neighbors will mind. Mine don't, But they're still breathing ;D

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Radar 1 said:
What are you shooting at around a cemetery? Skunks, squirrels, groundhogs? Not a good place for plinking due to possible ricochets off the stones.
I agree.

I thought that maybe he was a employed there and they had a groundhog or ? problem and they did not want to set out traps or poison on the grounds.

Catherine

·
Registered
462 Posts
In response to the question...

No. I'm not aware of any reference material that shows hardness of any loaded .22 rounds.

Generally speaking, plain lead bullets are going to be the softest.

After that, the plating on the bullet is going to determine the hardness of the outside of the bullet and how it might respond to a fingernail.

I'm going to guess that the Remington Golden Bullet has the hardest plating. It's pretty thick and looks more like brass than copper.

After the plating, I'm going to guess that the slower rounds are softer than the hyper velocity stuff.

It's just a hunch, but I'm thinking CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jackets are going to have a harder lead base because of the velocity, and a super soft bullet going that fast would not stay together well enough to provide penetration.

So, if you want a soft bullet I'm going to recommend low velocity and no plating.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think that Fast Frank is correct on his assumptions. I shoot automatch exclusively now and since it is rated at 1200 fps, it's supposedly a little harder than slower ammo.
maybe someone with a hardness tester could do a little testing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Radar 1 said:
If its Fred Phelps, use something bigger!

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I mowed cemeteries all thru High School and the little 13 liners were all over the place.
The largest cemetery I mowed was 13 acres and was a mile from town and a good 1/2 mile to nearest house. I took along my dad's Marlin 81DL with a little weaver V-22 scope and a box of 50 shells and on my lunch break I shot the whole box and only missed twice , didn't realize I had shot so many on the gravel road side as I just tossed them over the fence. When I went to leave it looked kinda bad with them laying all over the road.
The next week I took it along again and only shot 18 and didn't miss that time... So I let them re-populate so I could have some fun in a month or two again... ;D

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
No hardness chart I know of, CCI standard velocity has coated lead bullets non HP but I've found them to be very accurate for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I have run into differing bullet hardness with the cheap bulk stuff some are soft and then the next batch may be harder. I have noticed this when shooting old appliances and harder materials. The premium ammo seems more consistent and a bit harder but, I don't usually get any sub sonic or target type either so they may be softer for that purpose.

I would recommend using a good pellet rifle for them little critters. I have one for use around the house and other close in areas. It is much safer and more quiet. Out in the pasture where there may be livestock I use frangible type varmint bullets that explode on impact so there is no chance for a Rick O'Shay. ;D ;D But they will still leave a nice divot mark on a chunk of cement. :eek:

BTW, I had a good chuckle when I read the first few posts. Sometimes there ain't no mercy from friends when a good one liner can get a good hooraw. ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies folks...i should have explained the problem..it's woodchucks. I shoot them around the cemetery , not in it. The little buggers do come in among the stones and tear things up a bit. The only neighbors are along and across the street running past the front of the cemetery, and I have permission from any that may fall within 500' (state law). I have a Ruger air rifle for the chipmunks within the cemetery itself..they can be very damaging..
Yes Catherine, I work there ..actually I am the administrator and my groundskeeper is not a shooter/hunter.

35Remington'
Your post was very helpful, describing the way some subs perform. Swany was right on about the CCI standards..I have found them to be very accurate in m ost all my .22s...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ironglow said:
Thanks for the replies folks...i should have explained the problem..it's woodchucks. I shoot them around the cemetery , not in it. The little buggers do come in among the stones and tear things up a bit. The only neighbors are along and across the street running past the front of the cemetery, and I have permission from any that may fall within 500' (state law). I have a Ruger air rifle for the chipmunks within the cemetery itself..they can be very damaging..
Yes Catherine, I work there ..actually I am the administrator and my groundskeeper is not a shooter/hunter.

35Remington'
Your post was very helpful, describing the way some subs perform. Swany was right on about the CCI standards..I have found them to be very accurate in m ost all my .22s...

+1 on what Swany said, and also what bugeye said.About the only 22 ammo I buy anymore is Federal Automatch. Little cheaper than CCI and very accurate in most 22's.Don't care for the jacked hollowpoints.Esp any Rem. rounds. I think the quality control is still pretty good with Winchester ammo too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts