Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to ask a question that I am sure has been addressed before,but maybe some good will come of it. How many out there own a .25 rimfire rifle that ammunition is no longer available for? Has anyone attempted to convert it to a .22 rimfire? The other option is to let it take up space or maybe hang it on the wall. In my case, I would like to convert a Stevens model 44 action in .25 rimfire to .22 rimfire. My thoughts are to have a barrel made and chambered for the .22 long rifle. A new extractor would also need to be made. My concern is would the firing pin make contact with a .22? I know the rim on the .25 is a larger diameter, but how much larger, I don't know. A new firing pin could probably be made to strike a smaller diameter if necessary. It just doesn't make sense to own a rifle that is almost mint and not be able to shoot it. Any thoughts on this idea would certainly be appreciated.

I know there are bunches of Stevens rifles chambered in .25 as well as other makes that are just taking up space as far as I know.

DG

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
25 Stevens to .22 LR.

Smoke810
I can tell you that the .22 LR, L and S rim dia. is .273 " and the .25RF Stevens rim dia. is .333". Quite a lot to make the switch without a bit of machine work for the firing pin relocation. Not much help but something to think on.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 25 Stevens to .22 LR.

Mountie

Thanks for the info. Thats only .060 difference on the diameter which would be .030 on the radius and thats what would need to be overcome. That's not all that much, might not have to do anything to the firing pin.

I thought the difference in the diameters was greater than .060. You learn something everyday.

DG

`57 Golden 39A Mountie said:
Smoke810
I can tell you that the .22 LR, L and S rim dia. is .273 " and the .25RF Stevens rim dia. is .333". Quite a lot to make the switch without a bit of machine work for the firing pin relocation. Not much help but something to think on.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.25Rimfire to .22 Rimfire

I just checked some fired .22 cases for the length of the impression of the firing pin and found it to be approximately .070 in length. If a guy assumed the firing pin on a .25 rimfire made an impression the same length, then one might assume the firing pin on a .25 would catch approximately .040 of a .22 round with no modifcations. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? I guess one wouldn't know unless he tried it though.

DG

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
.22 vs. .25RF firing pin location

Smoke810.
The shape of the firing pin where it contacts the cartridge would make a lot of difference. If it was a little round pointy one it would probabnly not work, however if it were one of the little flat and somewhat long style it may just do the trick without any mod. Take a close gander at your little .25 firing pin and see which type it is. Something else to think on.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: .22 vs. .25RF firing pin location

Mountie

I had already thought about that, but unfortunately the rifle is in Okla City right now and I can't look at it until I get back over there in a couple of weeks.

DG

`57 Golden 39A Mountie said:
Smoke810.
The shape of the firing pin where it contacts the cartridge would make a lot of difference. If it was a little round pointy one it would probabnly not work, however if it were one of the little flat and somewhat long style it may just do the trick without any mod. Take a close gander at your little .25 firing pin and see which type it is. Something else to think on.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
957 Posts
Smoke, I have the same situation and a long list of possibilities, but no decision yet.

Having a new barrel made looks prohibitively expensive. I need an octagon barrel and that runs the price up.

Sleeving is much cheaper and I could do that myself but it destroys originality.

Mine still has good rifling so I could rechamber and alter to centerfire without any visible external modifications. Main problem there is that nominal groove diameter is .251 rather than the more common .257. You just might be able to rechamber to .25-20 and load with .253 cast without the need for a special reamer or dies. I have the dies and would just need a custom Lee bullet sizer.

The other choice is a wildcat called the .25 ALEX. It's a kinda .25 Hornet Short that is close to the .25 Stevens in chamber dimensions but centerfire. I think CH offers the dies, but I have no idea where you would get the reamer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try 22WMR, the rim is enough larger than the 22 rimfire that the firing pin should work . You could also fire the old 22 win rim fire in the same chamber.

Lee L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts