Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite truck gun is a rimfire. Occasionally it is an NEF .22 mag, but most often it is a little bolt action .22 LR...

I wanted a compact gun for behind the seat of my Ranger....so.... checking my locker, I latched onto a little Anschutz " woodchucker ", youth sized rifle that I still have even after outfitting each of my 4 grandkids with one or two .22s of their own.
Stock was very short...so I cut a wooden extension block, then filed it down and finished sanding it down on the same belt sander I do my forged blades on.
The shape was good, but the wood grain & color was poor...what to do..

Krylon makes some nice spray cans of camo paint in various shades; I just started with the lightest shade first and coated the whole stock. The next color (a bit darker), I sprayed in a random pattern, followed by the darkest, also in a very random pattern...not too shabby.
I wanted to seal it more than I thought the matte paints would allow, so I finished it with a Krylon clear enamel..
Caution: if you use Krylon, use that same paint for all coats including clear coat...Krylon seems to have a thinner that "crinkles" other paints...

I topped it with an old Bushnell 2.5X20 scope that was idle in my closet.

Now this little rifle fits me and with it's 16" barrel gets optimum performance from .22 LRs.....

....And it shoots like an Anschutz

Ammo ? I like Stingers for some of my rifles...but Anschutz doesn't like them (match chamber)..

This little Annie just loves Velociters...with those and some standard speeds on board, I can cover lots of game..

What is your rimfire truck gun(s)...?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I f I remember KRYLON is an enamel which is very picky about what you put it with.stick with laquers which are much more forgiving and are also very fast drying and easy to repair.I use a high quality laquer called ''Deft''as a clear coat it drys in minutes and is avail;able in gloss and matte finishes.My rimfire truck gun is either my 39 or my old J.C.Higgins Mod.30 a rather distinctive rifle [some might think it strange appearing]but, it exudesQuality workmanship and due to it's strange stock type I'm sure it was extemely expensive to make.It is anexemplary squirrel rifle and has outshot some match rifles much newer than it is.A cool but nearly useless option si its retractable carrying strap which I'll refrain from calling a sling!It can be seen at the place of a normal rear sling swivel.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
265 Posts
I saw a gun that someone painted with spray-on truck bed liner. (The stock, not the metal)

It looked pretty cool. I'm sure it would cover a lot of dents/scratches too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Here's my hunting buggy, it's painted with that "RINOLINING" truck bed lining. I don't konw if I want my gun covered with it!
For a truck gun, I've got a NEF Sportster in 22RF, w/a survior stock, it's nice and short and it's 'handi" ( :D ).
With the buggy and the Sportster, the jackrabbits don't stand a chance! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Since I'm usually alone in the truck- an ancient dodge caravan- size don't matter. It's usually any .22 that has my interest up. The longest has a 26 3/4" barrel, and the shortest is right around the 18" mark. I have a lot of second hand .22's, so it really depends on what I have with me. It's been a while since I've had 'em all out, all at once- sort of an unmanageble pile so to speak. Most times, it's a very accurate 24" bolt action- my major game taker...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
69 Posts
Krylon worked fine for me. Used an undercoat,
masking tape and two colors of camo Krylon.
This is a pic of my 1022 and 1022 magnum.
The mag has the larger scope on it and it is my truck gun.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey shootrj,
If you want to get rid of that 30 let me know. I like them. I had a 31, great rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'll show ya a picture of my new truck gun next week after I get my hands on it :D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sarge, I don,t have any plans to offload that rifle like I said, it outshot my friends Ruger match rifle and a couple others and works smooth as silk-very reliable rifle.I have another incomplete one downstairs that I am trying to ressurect .but it's just a reciever ,barrel and stocks,the trigger group and bolt are missing but available from Gunparts[sometimes]It has the operating handle on the right side and mine is on the left and has no retractable sling or buttplate.I do appreciate the offer though,It's good to talk to someone who is familiar with these sweet little rifles.Incidently what is the difference with the Mod.31?SHOOTRJ2003

·
Registered
932 Posts
shootrj,
The 31 would shoot shorts and quite well I might add. Mine had the retractable sling also. The cocking handle was on the right as part of the bolt. I've had a 28,29,30 and 31. Now I have none of them. They are a very accurate rifle and the trigger on them is very good I thought. My favorite of the bunch was the 31 cause I could shoot shorts in it. They are a good feeling rifle too. The 28 did not have the forearm wood that extended along side the receiver, other than that it was just like the others. I think the model numbers changed with the year made. I always had trouble finding rings that would fit the goooved receiver. All were made by High Standard. Don't get rid of either of yours.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yup! the grooves to mount the scope seem to be more like 5/16'' instead of 3/8 ''I got around it by shimming with copper roofing sheet.I almost bought another a few months ago and I regret that I didn't now! It's a great squirrel rifle.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The question of having a rimfire as a truck gun is an interesting one. I live in rural Montana and there is always the ocassional need for a CF rifle but I lean towards the rimfires. By definition of a truck gun, I'd want something light and handy, accurate and reliable... a rifle that I wouldn't mind having around 24/7 and something I could count on performing the tasks I put it to. That would probably warrant my CZ452 American 22WMR. The problem is that truck guns tend to take hard service and even up here are always prone to getting stolen. I'd rather not risk that. I investigated a couple of 10/22's in my closet. The plainest one was so inaccurate that I ruled it out until I can rebarrel it. The other two are "deluxe" models that again, I'd rather not beat up. The last is a barrel testing platform on a bench rest stock -worthless in the field.

Ruling out several target guns and guns I'd rather not risk to fate, I was left with a Marlin 880SQ and three Chinese "JW-15" bolt actions. The Marlin is technically my son's until he get's his 22LR CZ 452 American for Christmas. (S'Ok. He never reads the gun boards!) That left me with the JW's. I have one that is set up for Sub Sonics and that gun is the one I'm going to give the nod to, I think. It is incredibly accurate with any ammo I shoot through it and the two-stage trigger is excellent. I have a Weaver 1.5 - 4.5X Wide View in top. With Aguila HP or Eley subsonics it will shoot a ragged hole at fifty yards. Wolf match shoots exactly to the same point of aim and with equal accuracy. If I need a little more "thump", CCI "Velocitor" ammo shoots 1.2" higher at 50 yards and gives just over MOA accuracy. I think that will work. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My newly purchased JW-15 is getting the nod as my truck gun. I remeasured some of the 30 yard groups I got today. The Aguila "SE" Hi velocity, HP shot the smallest average (.4 inches) with the absolute smallest at .15 inches. The CCI "velocitor" was next with an average of .48 inches but a small group of .28 inches. I have a short Simmons 2X on top, mounted with those beefy Leupold Rifleman tip-off's from Wal Mart. Best of all is that the scoped rifle in a gun sock and two boxes of shells just fits under the back seat of my Jeep Liberty. Looks like I'm in business. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew;
I got my one of my grandsons one of those JW15s a few years back..now he'd like an extra magazine...
I haven't checked it with my CZ yet, but they say the magazines will fit the Norinco..
Have you tried it yet ?

BTW: liking those Velociters more every day..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts