Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:

I would like to know what scope you recommend to install on a rimfire rifle. I use a 3-9x50 on my 22 Magnum and think it is a bit too much bulk for 50 to 100 yds shooting. I'll appreciate your comments.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
A nice 2-7x 32 works fine and is a little smaller. I personally have the BSA SWEET 22 on my Savage MKII BESV .22LR. (Top) It comes with 3 elevation caps that are calibrated for 3 different weight bullets. You just tack off the top cap and put on one of the others if you have bullet types. It also has Parallax Front Objective for clear target shooting. I have changed the rings to lower mounts after I took this picture but the scope works great and is inexpensive. It also comes with a screw on front and rear dust cover for the lenses.

The Savage 93BTVS is my .22Mag rifle and it has a much more expensive SWIFT PREMIUM Parallax scope also 3-9x40.

GB45

·
Registered
462 Posts
There really isn't a "Right" scope.

It's like asking what the right car is. A family with eight kids is going to have a completely different idea of "Right" than what a young man working his way through school needs.

Same thing with rifles and scopes.

Some folks feel that the way the scope looks on the rifle is more important than how the scope works.

Other folks believe the function of the scope should outweigh the appearance.

Some shooters are restricted to shooting at up close targets because of land restrictions.

Others like to lob rounds out there at distant targets for fun.

Personally, I own more than one .22 rifle and my scope selections on those rifles reflect what I think the rifle should be used for.

My opinions:

Get the best scope you can afford. Just like cars, tools, and everything else- the cheap stuff works but the good stuff works better.

Low power scopes are great for hunting squirrels and shooting at up close targets, but a higher power scope is very nice for targets off the bench at longer distances.

larger scopes generally work better in poor light.

How you mount the scope is as important as the scope it's self. If it doesn't stay where you put it, even the best scope is useless.

Regardless of what you buy, have fun with it. If it's not fun it's not worth doing.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My 22's have everything from 4X16-50 AO Bushnell 4200 to 4X16-50 AO Tasco World Class to a RWS 4X32 AO and a couple with Konus fixed 4X. And then there are those with iron sights. The 4X's get the most use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you shoot the wings off a fly...you made it a walk.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Kaweskar said:
Hello everyone:

I would like to know what scope you recommend to install on a rimfire rifle. I use a 3-9x50 on my 22 Magnum and think it is a bit too much bulk for 50 to 100 yds shooting. I'll appreciate your comments.

Cheers
I can't complain about my $79.98 Center Point 4-16x40 sitting on my Marlin 25MN (.22WMR)...
it looks a little large, but since I can drop 'yotes with headshots out to 150 yards with it, I aint gonna complain.
Why mess with success??

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think it depends on what you use your 22 for and when.For short range target shooting and plinking in good light any scope of any power should work just fine.For long range target shooting in good light a higher power with a smaller objective might do but for hunting or target shooting in poor light and medium to long range shots a higher power with a larger objective may be a better choice.I think a 2-7x33 or 3-9x32 would be a good choice for most 22 shooting.I think a scope is like a gun and must fit the shooter and his type of shooting.I believe it's a personal thing. JD

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all guys for your comments, suggestions and advice. I think I'm going to stick to my current scope. It is doing a good job in all conditions. Its only sin being a little bulky. ::).

Funny thing today, though. For a different reason; I had to read extensively our Guns Law. And you know, ...22 caliber rifles are NOT allowed to use scopes in my country, only iron sights, because they are for small game hunting only :p. As many things in our guns law, this doesn't make any sense, does it? ???

Cheers

·
Registered
734 Posts
Kaweskar said:
Thank you all guys for your comments, suggestions and advice. I think I'm going to stick to my current scope. It is doing a good job in all conditions. Its only sin being a little bulky. ::).

Funny thing today, though. For a different reason; I had to read extensively our Guns Law. And you know, ...22 caliber rifles are NOT allowed to use scopes in my country, only iron sights, because they are for small game hunting only :p. As many things in our guns law, this doesn't make any sense, does it? ???

Cheers
Hmmm what about 17 caliber?

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ArrowDodger said:
Hmmm what about 17 caliber?
Nope. Any rimfire arm is considered for small game only, thus no scope.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What if you want to shoot the wings off flies? At 50 yards?

Y yo que pense que Puerto Rico era el unico pais con leyes ridiculas!!! LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
luisyamaha said:
What if you want to shoot the wings off flies? At 50 yards?

Y yo que pense que Puerto Rico era el unico pais con leyes ridiculas!!! LOL.
Well, for flies, fleas and mosquitoes, at any range, it has to be iron sights ::).

Luis, esto es un botón de muestra no más, hay cosas peores.

Saludos

·
Registered
84 Posts
Find one that looks great with your rifle and then look at the other issues such as power , AO etc. I used a 4X 32 fixed for decades and it filled the pot and it targets 1000's of times since 1988.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts